We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nathula Pass (Sikkim) in January!

Dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Nathula Pass (Sikkim) in January!

Hi,

I've read that Nathula pass is closed during winter season - can anyone confirm that.

Thanks

Ratna

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
for Kolkata, Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,253 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nathula Pass (Sikkim) in January!

I cannot confirm it, but its likely to be because at that altitude the conditions are very extreme in winter. Even going up to Changu lake, which is at a lower altitude is tricky because of the snow on the roads. But I did go upto the lake in January, it was completely frozen over.

Even if Nathula was open, I'd consider it very risky to go at that time of the year.

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
for Kolkata, Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,253 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nathula Pass (Sikkim) in January!

One more thing, you need a permit to visit Nathula Pass. If you are an Indian national, its easier. I am not sure if foreign passport holders are permitted to visit Nathula, maybe someone else can confirm.

Dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nathula Pass (Sikkim) in January!

Hi again,

Thanks for that.

We really want to see the lake especially when it's frozen and my husband (would be) is Irish. You think i can check with some travel agents in Sikkim/darjeeling about the lake and nathula pass. I've read about NAture Beyond who organise specific tours and they might have more info.

Thanks

Ratna

4. Re: Nathula Pass (Sikkim) in January!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 23:48