We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how does tourism help in alevation of poverty?

how does tourism help in alevation of poverty?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 March 2012, 02:35
Edited: 24 March 2012, 02:35
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how does tourism help in alevation of poverty?

"How does tourism help the alevation of poverty in india ?"

Tourism is a very big word and encompasses many things.

Remove tourism and what remains ?

Employment is generated by tourism, so, depending how tourists book their tours, this will affect how much tourist money is passed on to those who need it most.

I wholeheartedly support a group called Tigersincorbett, (Tigersincorbett.com) who, through their network ensure that as much as possible of tourist's cash is ploughed back into the local community. When booked through Tigersincorbett, I know my trips to India will be very good value, I know I will receive very good service, and I will want to book again through them, because I know that as much as possible of my money is not going to travel agents who sit in offices around the world, and would'nt know one end of a tiger from another.Yes, I travel to see wildlife only, and Tigersincorbett can help me to visit just about any wildlife attraction in India.

If I were booking the same tours through a travel agent, I know for certain, that their commission will be added on top of any expenses like hotels and tours, safaris in my case. I could also be sure that the money I paid to the travel agent, would not reach its destination, until after I had been and gone. It is a fact of business that things can, and do, go wrong, and that sometimes money needs to be refunded, so I totally understand why travel agents must operate in this fashion. But the profits they make can be huge, and for the bigger companies, I can make few excuses for them. Overheads, are overheads, and need to be paid for. So to distribute my money in a more sharing manner, I choose to avoid travel agents, this means more of my money goes to the people lower down, nearer to the sticky end of the business, those on the front line.

Thats not to say that travel agents do not have a place, they do keep a large number of people employed, so this is a clear cut step to an aleviation of poverty.

On a recent trip to South Africa, I stayed at a well known hotel on the Paul Kruger gate, at Kruger national park. It is part of a big chain. They had a notice board erected, telling anyone who cared to read it, that they helped in this way, and in that way, to help the local community. Amonst their boastings was a brag about helping an orphan through school ! Tigersincorbett are helping between 10 - 15 orphans, making sure they have all they need to attend school, and get their education. They are helping many children 500 + in just one local school by giving them clean, cooled drinking water, and I am only just scratching the surface now !

Those youngsters are realising that tigers are helping to educate them, and that an education is the only way to avoid poverty !

So, while the subject is a vast one, I hope I have given you a slight insight as to how tourism can help aleviate poverty !

nuneaton
Level Contributor
636 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how does tourism help in alevation of poverty?

nice advert you managed to mention this company 6 times in this answer,you know its not allowed on t/a ,i do hope the moderators remove this advertising post