We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Race Club for Lodging

CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Race Club for Lodging

Hello,

Has anyone heard of the Madras Race Club in Gundy? A friend has recommended this club as a place to stay. I could stay there through a member's reservations.

Thank you!

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Race Club for Lodging

I have membership at the race club, and we inspected the rooms two years ago because we had a visitor who was planning to stay there. The rooms are clean, the toilets are Western, there's a restaurant, food is average, though. It is really a pleasant, green place, and you'll be comfortable. Are you travelling alone? The place mostly has male guests staying overnight.

There is no convenient public transport there, so you will need a car.

It is located at one end of Mount Road, and is about 30 minutes from T Nagar where you'll probably shop.

CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Race Club for Lodging

Thank you for your reply, Deepa. Re the lodgings, do they have a/c and are they at the level of at least a Marriott? Would you be able to compare it to the hotels in Madras? I am not going to be alone, but I am particular about comfort. Does it have a website, by chance?

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Race Club for Lodging

As a member of a club, and having stayed at many clubs all over India, I would say that none of them offfers rooms on par with a top level hotel. However what the better ones do offer is space, character and facitilies that many hotels dont offer. I dont know about Guindy Lodge at the MRC, being quite out of the way, but I have stayed a few times at the Madras Gymkhana Club, and will be staying there for a day on Friday night.

It isn't quite as good, for example as my club-the Bangalore Club, or say the Tollygunge in Calcutta which are among the best clubs in the country.. In most clubs the rooms are an extension of the club, which is primarily meant to provide facilities to resident members. Nowadays rooms are beginningto get more importance because they provide a good revenue stream-though they are still significantly cheaper than hotels.The staff is often unionised and not outsourced, atlhough at some places they have outside caterers.

If comfort and good room service are essential I would say dont consider a club, just stay at a hotel.

Brave1 as a resident of Calcutta which is probably the "club town" of India will, no doubt have something to say on this!

CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Race Club for Lodging

Thank you, Deepa, your email provided just the information I needed. It turns out that the race club is probably too far from the wedding and based on what you said, I am eliminating it. Now I am looking into the Residency Towers, which is very close to the wedding. Do hotels generally have gyms or can tourists find a local place to exercise?

CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Race Club for Lodging

Please disregard my last message - I just learned the Residency Towers hotel does have a website and does have a fitness center.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Race Club for Lodging

The thing about the Residency is:

a) its in T Nagar, honestly, that's as close as you can get to the heart of the city

b) there's lots of shopping nearby

c) for a four-star hotel, the tariff is very reasonable.

d) it is safe, clean, modern

e) the Bike and Barrell is a good place to hang out in the late evenings

f) there's wireless broadband because a lot of business travellers stay there

g) "Main Street" always has a large buffet table groaning with good food, with a million desserts. One of the most value for money buffets in town.

7. Re: Race Club for Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 20:50