We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India

London, United...
2 posts
WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India
Save

Dear Travellers,

I just returned from a trip to the Golden Triangle. It was a wonderful place to visit but unfortunately the experience of being ripped off and scammed left right and centre was exhausting.

I have been reading many articles on the internet about tourists being scammed in India. There are so many scams. I wish I had done more research before my trip.

Therefore, I thought it would be good to start a thread of scams travellers have encountered on their trip to Jaipur and Delhi or other parts of India that other tourists can beware of.

Here are some interesting articles I found:

http://goindia.about.com/od/annoyancesinconveniences/tp/Most-Common-Scams-in-India.html

http://www.tripsource.com/stories/Seven_Days/India.html

http://www.budgettravel.com/feature/we-got-ripped-off-in-india,6319/

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
504 posts
131 reviews
363 helpful votes
11. Re: WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India
Save

i am not sure it same in all countries. i have visited singapore and thailand. i feel i was not scammed.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
122 reviews
82 helpful votes
12. Re: WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India
Save

Thailand my friend for sure...trust me....Indonesia too...Singapore, well yes!!

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
26 reviews
36 helpful votes
13. Re: WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India
Save

Of course Singapore has these..the free city tour where you end up in a shop selling jade pieces...you just have to be smart and take what is free without losing your own money

Jaisalmer, India
Destination Expert
for Jaisalmer
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
37 reviews
32 helpful votes
14. Re: WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India
Save

well , I was in japan for one month and It was very nice for me . No hashal , no push , no presser . When u enter in shop you get nice welcome smile and then they not talk til u not ask them .

Thailand was the same too for me , I was twice there .

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
54 posts
129 reviews
70 helpful votes
15. Re: WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India
Save

And in China taxi drivers try to give you counterfeit money while examening your real stuff and swapping it and inTurkey taxi drivers try to tell you you gave them a 5 lira note when you gave them a 50 lira note and in Romania they wont pick you up from the airport or train station unless you agree to a huge fixed price at least in India the taxi drivers are only trying to scam you for 100-200 rupies and lets face it if you pay more than you should in a market or shop is it really a scam. I would recommend that you pay for big items with a credit card and get a recept describing good so you can always dispute it with teh CC agency -otherwise just get out and enjoy the sights and sounds and smells and colours of India. YES you need to be careful anywhere you travel.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi
Level Contributor
13,580 posts
12 reviews
32 helpful votes
16. Re: WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India
Save

I've been scammed in some other countries but I think there are degrees to these things, there is simply too much of it going on in Indian tourism. It starts at the airport or train station or bus station, and simply doesn't stop. It's downright shameful. Athithi devo bhava my foot. It's more like Athithi Buddhu Bhava :)

Deepa

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
244 posts
23 reviews
47 helpful votes
17. Re: WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India
Save

Deepa, I totally agree with you. The scamming is relentless in India, these guys just don't stop, and they don’t understand that no means NO! Their behaviour just ruins your holiday. The government needs to do more about this. If they don't scam you you would want to give them more money, so by attempting to scam tourists these people are actually doing a disservice to themselves.

What was surprising was being scammed at places one would not imagine this would happen, for example the City Palace in Jaipur. The small shops in there all sell FAKE Pashminas. Also be aware of Bikaner House at Delhi where the busses out of city run from (the Volvo bus etc). These are supposed to be fixed prices but the ticket sellers there try to scam money out of you as well, which was surprising to me as this was supposed to be a government run bus service. I believe in fair trade, however, these traders are only out to rip you off!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
10 helpful votes
18. Re: WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India
Save

I agree about the scamming in India. It is awful to know that even the travel agents, whom we pay a fine fee to, will only take us to the stores where they earn commissions. Also, the travel agent that we used, came with us shopping even on the day we did not require her services, for that particular day. My husband and I wanted to spend some time alone and she insisted that she was really doing it from the heart and didn't want to get paid!!

19. Re: WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India

Tripadvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guidelines.

What are forum guidelines?
20. Re: WARNING - Scams galore in Jaipur and rest of India

Tripadvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum guidelines.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.