We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

Mangalore, India
1 post
Save Topic
Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

Hi,

I have bought two 40" LED TV's in Saudi and planning to bring them to India as Excess baggage. I am travelling alone and I am willing to pay for Excess Luggage for Airlines. My Main Worry is about the Customs officers @ mumbai airport..

1. can a single person bring more than one TV as baggage?

2. what will be the customs limit per person (price or quantity)? will that limit be applied for price of both TV's together or separately?

3. How to tackle customs ? I am willing to pay dutiable tax legally?

ANy pointer on this will surely help me plan my travel..

Thank,

Ramakrishna

200 replies to this topic
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

If you are coming alone then the amount will be Rs.25,000 of dutiable items. Whatever is more than that amount is usually dutiable. When you bring in two items of the same thing then it may be assumed as a commercial buy rather than for personal use and they may try to make a fast buck out of it but if you are willing to pay the duty then it should not be a problem officially. They may ask you to pay the extra duty over the duty free amount allowed. The valuation will generally be according to what they have in their records for particular models and not according to what you may have actually paid even if you provide them with the bill or receipt of payment. Check out the latest at http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm for the last word on what you can get and how much duty you will have to pay for each type of dutiable items brought into the country. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

Aadil is absolutely correct with one small change. In the last union budget, the amount of import per pax has been increased to 35000 rs. Also long term residents coming back (shifting) are eligible for more duty free import under household goods. May want to check that. Overall, since there will be two big boxes expect to pay duty and there may be some harassmentalso.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

That's right about the recent change which is not reflected in the link I posted above. The limit is now Rs.35,000.

Adelaide, South...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

Hello,

I want to bring to Mumbai LED Tv 47 inches from Dubai.The cost of it in INR will be 60,000 approx .

What is the custom duty to be paid and what % of the dutiable goods...I believe 35000 is allowed free so i believe it should be on rest 25000?

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

Hello Bebee T

Indian Customs Guide for Travelers as on 22.05.2013 states under Baggage Rules as under :

1. The free allowance shall not be pooled with the free allowance

of any other passenger.

2.The goods over and above the free allowances shall be

chargeable to customs duty @ 35% + an education cess of

3% i.e. to say the effective rate is 36.05%.

3. Alcoholic drinks and tobacco products imported in excess of

free allowance are chargeable to custom duty at the rates

applicable to their commercial imports as per the Customs

Tariff Act, 1962.

4. In case the value of one item exceeds the duty free allowance,

the duty shall be calculated only on the excess of free

allowance.

II. For passengers coming from countries other than

(a) Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar or China.

(b) Pakistan by Land Route

INR 35,000/- Duty – Free Entitlements per Bonafide Baggage for passengers of age 10 Years & above only & their stay abroad is for more than three days.

For less than 3 days the applicable rate of duty free allowance is different.So also for 3/6 months, to transfer of residence, and for Professionals are different.

Dubai, Dubai...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

Hi,

I am also planning to buy a 40 inch SONY LED TV in Dubai & will bring with me may be in next week. So please let me know price I have to pay in Mumbai Airport..??

Thanks in advance.

MUMBAI
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

Hello Pushkar D

Refer posting #5 above for estimation arriving at approx customs duty.

currently all flat screen TV LCD/LED/Plasma would attract approx. 36% of the customs duty. The duty is applicable on the rate list available with Indian Customs. For calculation purpose arriving at approx. amount based on your purchase price multiple by 36 % ( all in INR) & be prepared to pay some more or less that amount based on the list available with the Customs officer on arrival.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

Hello, I m moving back to India permanently from uk. Here at home I have 40inch LCD tv, which I bought nearly a year ago for worth of £400. May I know how much amount do I have to pay to customs in India and moreover do I have to pay the custom percentage according to purchase bill or current price for the same tv in India right now. Please sir help me out....

Thank you.

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

hai i bring 1 32" led tv to mumbai i need to pay how much

Dubai, United Arab...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's

LED tv tax to mumbai airport i need know 32" ?

Reply to: Customs at Mumbai Airport LED TV's
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted