We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Mumbai to Goa?

York, United Kingdom
6 posts
Save Topic
Best route from Mumbai to Goa?

Hi,

I'm planning to drive from Mumbai to Goa.

Previously when I have gone with my Indian friends and they were driving, we have driven the Mumbai-Goa road, and then gone onto National Highway 17. We've always done this at night, which I'm not brave enough to do by myself.

Google maps suggests that going down National Highway 4 would be an better journey, but I'm not sure which is better in term of traffic - NH4 is going to go through Pune, and also which is a more interesting journey - is there much to see on NH 4?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Steve

Pune
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Pune, Mahabaleshwar, Aurangabad
Level Contributor
845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Mumbai to Goa?

If you take NH4 .. its a divided 4 lane highway all the way up Nipani (about 400 km) of 550 km. Its a toll road (total toll about Rs 500/-) But you will reach till Nipani very fast .. about 7 hours. But once you take a diversion on your right to get into Konkan .. it takes another 4 hours to reach Northen Goa. Google map might show you the directions from Belgaum. But the Belgaum-Goa road is rather thru the forest and with no support in between. Road condition was also not good when I was planning to go couple years ago. So if you plan to go by NH4, after Nipani turn right after a small uphill winding road. ( Note - You will not find the directions there. May have to stop and ask)

NH17 is probably toll free road thru Goa, but its all winding road and undivided. It will take time to reach and have to be seasoned driver for Indian traffic.

York, United Kingdom
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Mumbai to Goa?

Hi,

Thanks for this.

Do you think it is a major risk for a non-Indian driving down these highways? #

I was thinking about spending a couple of days driving in Mumbai to get used to it ( I've driven in Mumbai city itself quite a few times with no major issues ) and then head out onto the highways.

Steve

yorkshire
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Mumbai to Goa?

good luck with the drive steve,

we got driven from mumbai to galangute a few years ago... it was terrifying...lol...

no doubt the roads will be better, and if you can handle mumbai then you should be fine.. again good luck and have a good sleep before you go and take lots of water...

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Mumbai to Goa?

I have travelled from Mumbai to Goa through internal roads and it is beautiful along the coast. However it takes time and hence you need to take break. National highway is fast but nothing as compared to internal road. Read my blog (www.indus-explorer.blogspot.com) to get more information...............

Pune
Level Contributor
74 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Mumbai to Goa?

Hi Steve,

If you've time and interested in looking around while driving, I'd suggest to pick NH4!

It's undivided road! Drive slowly use horn liberally (like Indians do :) )

But the terrain is scenic. You can stop anywhere in between or choose to hit a beach nearby almost anywhere along the road. Don't shy get down and talk to people. It's much safer there than many parts in India.

Enjoy!

Pune
Level Contributor
74 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from Mumbai to Goa?

I mean NH17!

sorry for the goof up...

7. Re: Best route from Mumbai to Goa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2013, 14:46