We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marine Plaza Hotel

U.K
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marine Plaza Hotel

Hello - has anyone stayed at the Marine Plaza hotel? I am really confused - am staying in South Mumbai for 6 nights with my mum.

I have seen prices for the Trident and Intercontinetal and they are about 60 pounds more per night.

I am looking at the superior sea room in Marine Plaza but the pictures look like the hotel is outdated. Are the pictures not doing the hotel justice?

Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marine Plaza Hotel

A friend who live in Bombay relally rates the Marine Plaza, especially the bar where he has often headed for drinks after work. He said the pool is really nice there too. I was going to book it, but actually found cheaper rates for the Trident so booked there instead. The Vivanta by Taj also does some good deals and it seems to get great reviews too, also seeming very well located for South Bombay.

Take a look at a thread I started (entitled possible 48 hours in Bombay - or something similar) as there are some really helpful answers there which deserve to be recycled and reused. Take a look at Agoda for good hotel rates; I got my good deal on Hotels.com. Keep watching the hotel booking search engines if the prices seem a bit stteep; by watching for about 5 weeks or so I saved myself about £40 a night!

U.K
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marine Plaza Hotel

Thanks I have contacted an agent in India who seems to be getting me the rates which are quite consistent with what is on the websites.

I will keep looking - really wanted to find out if the hotel is modern or is very outdated.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marine Plaza Hotel

The hotel is quite good. Its surely not outdated. Intercontinental is a newer property. But Marine Plaza is very good and the location is fantastic.

Food is quite decent as well. But then I guess with 6 days in your hand u will surely explore some of the areas around the hotel.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marine Plaza Hotel

Marine Plaza is not outdated really, but the Intercontinental is a superior hotel. Even where food is concerned, Intercontinental is far ahead. It's Kebab Korner is among Mumbai's best Indian restaurants.

Both hotels are fairly small boutique properties.

The Trident hotel started off as a Sheraton originally and was far too good to be branded that for too long. After that, in recent times, it was also a Hilton. It is now branded Trident which is a relatively new 4 star brand of The Oberoi group of hotels. It has some very nice restaurants like Frangipani, an Italian oriented multi- cuisine restaurant and India Jones, a pan-asian restaurant which serves excellent food. The attached sister hotel,The Oberoi, has a lovely Indian restaurant called Ziya. The Trident also has one of the best urban spas in Mumbai which is unique in the sense that it is open only to resident guests, unlike all other hotel spas in Mumbai. Overall, the F & B outlets and the facilities that these two hotels have together give them the edge over similarly located properties in the neighbourhood, in my opinion. They also have a lot of attached shopping, both Designer and ethnic.

Geoffrey's is a very nice English-pub-like bar at Marine Plaza which has remained a popular South Mumbai watering hole for several years now.

However, the Dome on the rooftop at the Intercontinental is the new star of bars on Marine Drive.

Edited: 25 September 2012, 00:21
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
113 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marine Plaza Hotel

Marine plaza is surely not outdated,it is located at the prime location, prices are also cheaper compare to other nearby hotels.

But as Oberoi and trident are recently done thus they look more Superior and modernize.

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marine Plaza Hotel

If you get competitive rates at The Trident, that maybe your first choice as there is plenty of space in the lobby, by the pool and it is easy to step out of the hotel to walk to places like the NCPA ( National centre for Performing arts) or along the seafront

Marine Plaza is very popular with locals for its bar and so far busier. You would be confined to your room and maybe get some respite by the poolside. No lobby space of consequence.

U.K
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Marine Plaza Hotel

Many thanks all. I have booked the Marine Plaza so fingers crossed all good.

8. Re: Marine Plaza Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2013, 15:46