We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mumbai Airport - should we stay or should we go?

Francophile in the...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Mumbai Airport - should we stay or should we go?

Hi, we have booked a flight from London to Mumbai which lands in Mumbai airport at 0045am on 23/12/12, we are then booked to fly on to Goa at 1515pm. Having read many reviews of Mumbai airport immigration being less than efficient we are worried that by the time we get through customs and baggage collection, it will be so late that it wont be worth getting a hotel as they will be wanting us to check out as soon as we arrive. Does anyone know of any decent but reasonably priced hotels near the airport that will be accepting of us arriving in the middle of the night and give us a decent check-out time? Failing that, any good ideas on how and where to waste a good few hours near the airport?

Edited: 11 July 2012, 04:18
Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mumbai Airport - should we stay or should we go?

You are arriving at a busy time. Mumbai airport immigration is quite efficient now. However, at busy times, there are queues even at Heathrow. Even at that time, I do not think that it would take you more than an hour at the most to leave the airport.

You still have many hours before your flight to Goa. I think that you would be well advised to check into a hotel and get some sleep and a relaxed breakfast and lunch or brunch before leaving for the domestic terminal. Please check with your airline when you need to report at the domestic terminal for your flight. I usually budget an hour and fifteen minutes.

You may also like to read about time required between terminals in the FAQ section towards the o right hand of this page.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mumbai Airport - should we stay or should we go?

Hotels in India usually have check out at 12 Noon. Mumbai is safe at night. You reach Hotel latest by 2 AM. If you surf the internet you will find hotels that will provide free shuttle. Mind one thing, international and domestic terminals are quite a distance apart.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
346 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mumbai Airport - should we stay or should we go?

Immigration/Baggage/Customs shouldn't take more than an hour. So if you land on time you should be at your hotel by 0200. There are more hotel options near the International airport than the Domestic. Depending on your budget range you have Hyatt/ITC/Intercontinental/Leela all near the International airport. For a 1515 flight you should be at the domestic airport by 1400 hours for which you should leave your hotel (if near the International airport) by 1315-1330 which is a reasonable check out time for the hotel to allow.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mumbai Airport - should we stay or should we go?

Immigration, in fact, is quick. Doesn't take more than 15 or 20 minutes. Its the baggage that takes you longer, but one hour is more than comfortable. If someone has told you it will take a large part of the night, that is incorrect. You definitely need a hotel room.

Francophile in the...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mumbai Airport - should we stay or should we go?

Many thanks to all that replied - I think we will take your advice and "get a room". I have looked at the Ibis hotel which seems to be nearby and has reasonable (for Mumbai) rates so I think we will stay there and try catch up on some sleep before flying on.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply and setting our minds at rest.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mumbai Airport - should we stay or should we go?

Ibis is well located too, very close to the domestic terminal. Good choice.

Edited: 12 July 2012, 17:20
7. Re: Mumbai Airport - should we stay or should we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 10:45