We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

Hope visitors to Mumbai are staying tuned into the news of a strike called by the opposition parties on Monday, July 05.

Do stay tuned into the news and take local advice about travel. We will be taking a call in the morning about going out.

The good bit is that the Maharashtra Government is a Congress one - the same party as at the Centre. They have promised that trains and buses will run with security and there will be a strong police presence in the city.

The bad bit is that some of the people supporting the strike have a history of violence. Taxi and auto drivers are particularly vulnerable targets. Taxis are going to be off the roads and autos at least in the morning. Even if you do not get caught up in any violence you may not have transport.

If it rains heavily, train services could be affected too.

1. Re: Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2010, 05:35
Edited: 06 July 2010, 05:35
Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

Just a clarification. My views expressed here were not meant to be political. I was trying to stick to how the situation affects travel in the city. I am not trying to support or promote any particular party.

If it had been another party in power at the Centre and in Maharashtra, the effect would have been the same, irrespective of the name of the party.

If the Government in Maharashtra had been of a party other than the one at the centre (irrespective of the name of the party), there would not have been any question of seeing whether or not to venture out. There would most probably have been a total shutdown, depending on how far the strike was supported by the ruling party of the state.

I hope that this thread is not going to turn political - just sticking to how the stoppage affects travel.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

Just further, my post was not meant to start a discussion on whether the stoppage is justified or not (this is not the place for that) - just that it is happening and visitors to Mumbai should stay tuned in and take a call based on the situation on the ground. As of now, we are still debating. But there are cars on the road here and we might just try and go out.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

I have taken a walk on the roads. Buses here are less than usual. Police are patrolling. Heard from people that buses are not plying at all in certain parts of the city (hearsay). No taxis on the road. Apparently train services are slow (again hearsay). My driver cannot make it since he says that he has no bus service. For reasons of parking, I cannot therefore go out. Hubby is planning to drive himself to work, as are some other people. With the roads mostly deserted, he will reach in no time at all. Cleaning lady called to say no bus in her area.

Just the situation. No value judgement. Yes, Peace :)

I would like to know how other Mumbaikars fare today, to have some info for the next time this happens.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
323 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

Things are improving slowly.. I saw many BEST buses & private cars on roads and people are also coming out on the streets. Security arrangements look good too.

PEACE!!

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

Useful Thread Ruff,

My point was that the ideal way to protest Inflation is NOT taking away 0.5% from the annual GDP, Incomes of the poor, by trying to stop all work on a working Monday, whichever parties it may be

that the way to protest price rise, of Fuel, Food etc and the impact it will have on the common man's livelihood is NOT by grabbing away one day's wages away from him-her, who lives day by day, and damaging the Economy in the process,

some more creative, innovative, less harmful ways need to be found by the politicos pronto

Peace Forever

7. Re: Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2010, 05:35
Edited: 06 July 2010, 05:35
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

apart from scores of Roads, Retail, Flights,Trains, Bus Trips, Office Attendance, Urgent Hospital Visits Cancelled, Wasted - Causing loss of hundreds of millions

one latest Update - over 75 Buses torched, burned across India, many other vehicles too

Glasses of many times more shattered, and of trains too, so easy to do

so apart from the concerned politicians, Glass Retailers, Shortlisted Suppliers & Bus Repair Politico-Contractors very happy with these kinda protests,

vested interest in these protests, some of the arsonists are even theirs

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

Very little of Mumbai worked yesterday as per reports I heard. Only those who took their cars got anywhere. Even among those who could take their cars, there was no point in going somehere because almost everything was shut. Some people managed to get around by bus but many were scared to use them due to thr reports of stone pelting.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bharat Bandh - All India Strike

THIS IS INFORMATIVE, esply for Non Indians, many of whom don’t realize the importance of Mumbai in India’s Economy, so Please Relax

"Mumbai accounts for slightly more than 6% of India's economy contributing 10% of factory employment, over 35% of income tax collections, 60% of customs duty collections, 20% of central excise tax collections, 40% of Maritime trade"

India's GDP (PPP, by purchasing power parity) = 3.7 Trillion USD, World’s 4th Largest

6% of India’s GDP = 222 Billion USD, Mumbai’s Contribution,

1/275 working days = 0.36%

0.36% of 222 Billion = 800 Million USD, or 3742 crore Rupees, not a complete wipeout, but you get the picture

and this is just One City, a large no. of big cities were similarly affected

In One Crore INR one can build 7 beautiful, durable, earthquake resistant 3 room lo cost brick Rural Homes, with complete plumbing, energy saving electric fixtures, recycling systems, (subsidized) solar panel, water air coolers, lo cost fridge, gas cooking range, kitchen garden…