We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquor Permit

London, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Liquor Permit

Hi All

Is it possible to get a liquor permit at Mumbai Airport?

I did this 10+ yeass ago but am not sure now

thanks

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Liquor Permit

The discussion about permit reminds me of my days in Gujarat. I am from Mumbai and was transferred to Gujarat at Branch Manager of a Bank. Due to prohibition, we had to get whatever stuff available, like the brands of whiskys which I had never even heard in Mumbai. So I used to hide a bottle or two of whiskey or rum of my favourite brand while going to Gujarat from Mumbai. It was a big risk.

In Gujarat, if a man is caught carrying a bottle on railway station or airport then next day a news item will appear on front page in various Gujarati dailies stating that Mr. xxxx , stayig in xxxx society in xxxx area, employed in xxxx company, caught with 2 bottles of Daaru (they call everything as hooch and would not know the difference between a whiskey and a champagne).

It was like parading you in public without clothes. I was lucky and was never caught. Once I was asked to open my bags on railway station with many other young men but luckily, I was not carrying any bottle on that day as by then I had become smarter and I had found a source to get one.

In Mumbai also permit is normally not asked. But everybody remembers it in the last week of December during the celebration of New Year Eve. Government wants its share of revenue in our celebrations also.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Liquor Permit

What are the opening times of the Liquer Permit office in Mumbai Airport?

I will be arriving on a Thursday Morning at around 2am, so for sure it will be closed. But if anyone knows when it opens it would be good.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Liquor Permit

sorry if the query is dumb but do i need a liquor permit if i want to buy a bottle of whiskey at Mumbai airport after i arrive ?

I stay in Mumbai itself.

24. Re: Liquor Permit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 December 2012, 11:35
London,UK
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Liquor Permit

Hi rak007

You do not need a liquor permit for Mumbai.

Bahrain
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Liquor Permit

Dear Samal,

I too am going thru the same agony....! Could you pls spare a few minutes to tell us how you managed to get the license? What are the documents required?

thanks in advance...

jimmy

London, UK
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Liquor Permit

Jimmy

Never did.

At Delhi airport I asked at the information desk after immigration, they did not anything about this.

London,UK
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Liquor Permit

Dear Jimmy

You can get the liquor permit at Mumbai airport....just ask a member of customs staff at international arrivals, they should be able to guide you. Also available from India Govt Tourism Dept at Churchgate. You need to show your passport and fill in a short form.

Mita

29. Re: Liquor Permit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 12:45