We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest/safest way from Mumbai-Jalandhar (and back)

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Quickest/safest way from Mumbai-Jalandhar (and back)

Hi there,

I am a female whoI will be in India in business and hoping to get to Jalandhar from Mumbai. I will be travelling on my own and am a bit concerned about the safest way to travel. I have been told I can fly, but cannot find any information on an airport in Jalandhar. Additionally, I have minimal time and would like to shorten travel time however possible. Money isn't so much an issue for the purpose of getting there and back to mumbai.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest/safest way from Mumbai-Jalandhar (and back)

The nearest airport is at Amritsar, which is some 90 Kms. from Jallandhar. Prepaid taxis are available at the airport, or you may prebook a taxi for your Jallandhar journey....

I think there are no direct Mumbai - Amritsar flights and you'll have to change at New Delhi (May check at www.ixigo.com)

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest/safest way from Mumbai-Jalandhar (and back)

Dear Bri -

I don't know this part of the country well, but I checked and there are no direct flights from Mumbai to Amritsar.

So I think what do you do is fly into Delhi, stay overnight and from Delhi, take a morning train to Jalandhar. There are express Shatabdi trains (called Amritsar Shatabdi and Swarn Shatabdi) that take you in under 5 hours. They leave Delhi at 7:20, so you will be there a little past noon. Train travel is safe for solo women, indeed, it is safer than road travel. From the railway station, ask your hotel in Jalandhar to arrange the transfer, this is the safest way.

Regards

- Deepa

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest/safest way from Mumbai-Jalandhar (and back)

I have also checked and it's confirmed that Amritsar has no dircet flights from Mumbai (Strange that it's an international airport ! )

Anyway, the next nearest airport is Chandigarh and fortunately it has a direct flight from Mumbai. Jallandhar is around 150 KMs. from Chandigarh, and the road is super smooth toll road. You can cover the distance in two and a half hours....

So in my opinion the best way is Mumbai - Chandigarh flight and then taking a taxi to Jallandhar...... prebooking a taxi is advisable.

My favorite Mega Cabs (radio Taxi service) are operational at Chandigarh too. They are very safe, modern, efficient, reliable and excellent taxis. May prebook at www.megacabs.com/corporate/book-now.php

4. Re: Quickest/safest way from Mumbai-Jalandhar (and back)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 10:50