We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

None
9 posts
Save Topic
Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

I'm interested in buying churidhars and from your answers, it seems that Gandhi Market is a good option in terms of variety, and budgets.

Ok, here are my questions

I'm NOT looking for high end, designer wear, but interested in something ethnic, and slightly pretty and fancy. I'd like to buy at prices that are relatively less than what I'd get for party wear at let's say Paaneri or Bawri. NOTE-- I'm looking for readymade outfits only.

Do you think Gandhi Market is where I should go for variety and readymade churidhars ?

Would I get good ethnic stuff, that is slightly fancy for say between Rs. 1500 - Rs 2000.

If not, what should I expect in terms of the price range

How do I get to Gandhi Market from Santacruz / Andheri. Can you send me directions or street address please ?

Are there specific shops within Gandhi Market that you'd recommend for readymade churidhars ?

Is Gandhi Market the place to shop for readymade kurtis also ?

Also, would I able to find mix and match kurtas at Gandhi Market ?

Ideally I'd like to purchase 10-12 readymade outfits at Gandhi Market. How much time do you think I should plan on spending there , specifically from the time I arrive at Gandhi market, the time it takes to browse, select and purchase.

Any recommendations on when I should plan on arriving there or is it always crowded no matter what the time of day.

Should I bargain ? Or should I buy everything from one store to get a discount ?

Are credit cards accepted at all stores or some stores only ?

Thank you for your time. Appreciate your thoughtful insights and guidance.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

I think that the Gandhi Market recommendation arose specifically from a post about where to find cheap salwar kameezes. Deepa is the forum expert on Gandhi Market, so I guess she could provide perspective.

With the budget you have, you could try a Lifestyle store or Pantaloons. The Lifestyle I shop at is in Lower Parel at the High Street Phoenix Mall. However, I am aware that there are Lifestyle stores closer to Santacruz and Andheri. I have seen a Pantaloons too in Bandra. There is also Shoppers' Stop in Andher (E). These are all large stores stocking quite a few labels (some within your price range). You will get a variety of fits, cuts and styles, so you should be able to get something to suit you. There is the added advantage and comfort of trial rooms, assistance and air conditioning. I like my comforts when shopping and I absolutely cannot do without trial rooms.

Sandy is local to that general area, so in case you are interested in these stores, she should be able to help you. I am sure she could point you to other stores in the area too. I know there is a Soch somewhere there. I have bought Soch outfits in Bangalore.

In case you are willing to push on a little further, you have various stores at High Street Phoenix, which is a mall. You have Lifestyle and Pantaloons, Rui (sizes 32 to 40something - excellent cut and fit although you may want to pick up only a couple from here since they all look similar), Fabindia, Patchouli and a few more expensive labels which you may like to have a look at - like Mogra, Ritu Kumar and Libas Gandhi. Because this mall was originally a mill, the layout is not great and I get a bit irritated by the layout, find some parts oppressive, but you get so much there and the stores are airconditioned, with the all important trial/fitting rooms.

Happy shopping. Do tell us how it goes even if to say you were disappointed.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

Snonymous has not posted on this forum for a little while now, but it is my impression that she too is very familiar with the western suburbs.

None
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

Thank you. Appreciate your inputs.

Deepa, understand from RuffMumbai that you are the expert on Gandhi Market. Look forward to your thoughts and guidance on my questions above.

By the way, I forgot to add, I'm not too interested in chamak dhamak attire only, one or two such pieces might be ok, but I'm more interested in a variety (Readymades only ) rather than party wear only. So is Gandhi Market the place to go to ?

Or would that be Dadar ?

Thanks.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

The Libas label I have mentioned is actually Libas by Riyaz Gandhi.

If travelling to Gandhi Market when raining, it is best to get the best routes from Deepa. Friday morning, with not that heavy rain saw traffic snarls on some roads.

A 15 minute journey took me 40 minutes. In the evening, a 45 minute journey took double that.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

Q: Do you think Gandhi Market is where I should go for variety and readymade churidhars ?

Ans: They have fabric, not readymades.

-----

Q: Would I get good ethnic stuff, that is slightly fancy for say between Rs. 1500 - Rs 2000.

Ans: Fabric can cost less than that. Whole sets come for 600-800 rupees, get a good tailor and you are all set.

-----

Q: How do I get to Gandhi Market from Santacruz / Andheri. Can you send me directions or street address please ?

Ans: Train to King's Circle station, and Gandhi Market is opposite the station, there's a bridge that connects it.

-----

Q: Are there specific shops within Gandhi Market that you'd recommend for readymade churidhars ?

Ans: Sorry I don't know

-----

Q: Is Gandhi Market the place to shop for readymade kurtis also ?

Ans: There are some (very few) kurtis.

-----

Q: Also, would I able to find mix and match kurtas at Gandhi Market ?

Ans: No. What you need is a ready-to-wear shop.

-----

Q: Ideally I'd like to purchase 10-12 readymade outfits at Gandhi Market.

Ans: Ain't gonna happen :) :) But if you are buying fabric it is very very nice.

-----

Q: Any recommendations on when I should plan on arriving there or is it always crowded no matter what the time of day.

Ans: Market opens 11 a.m. all days except Mondays. Not very crowded now in the rainy season. It is a covered market, so it is good even in the rains.

-----

Q: Should I bargain ? Or should I buy everything from one store to get a discount ?

Ans: They sell at wholesale rates, it is hard to get a discount. Some shops do offer lower prices.

-----

Q: Are credit cards accepted at all stores or some stores only ?

Ans: Mostly cash. The more expensive stuff like lehengas can be paid with credit card but I wouldn't bank on that.

-----

None
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

Deepa,

Thank you very much. Since we don't have much time in Mumbai, I am forced to buy readymade outfits and cannot afford the luxury of a tailor this time. Sigh:(

Ok , so I guess this means, I should not go to Gandhi Market and should turn my attention towards Vile Parle, Santacruz, Linking Road / Hill Road, Elco Market.

Since I'm interested in a wide variety and want to find readymade salwar / churidhar suits in the Rs 1500 - 2000 range, would you recommend any of the places mentioned above as better than the other ? specifically which of these places is a better option for me in terms of variety and price.

Do you think my price range is way too low and that I'd get only cheap (stuff that will not last ) outfits in this price range ?

Thanks and appreciate your time in helping me and others that visit this site.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

There are two Shoppers Stop in Andheri....one is in Andheri (W) & the other is in Juhu....I normally buy my ready-made Salwar Kameezes & Kurtas from these....you could go to any one of these as they stock almost the same range...Yes, you'll be able to get Salwar Kameez within Rs. 2000...There is also a Shoppers Stop in Bandra (W)....

I would suggest that you go to Inorbit Mall in Malad (W) one day ....there's Shoppers Stop there as well as Lifestyle & other shops...Will serve all your needs..

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

Another option is the Oberoi Mall in Goregaon (E) which has Lifestyle and Central and other shops like Fabindia....

I personally like to shop at the malls for ready-made stuff but you may want to try out the Vile Parle (E) and Santacruz (W) mkts. There is a small makt in Irla too which has 3-4 shops for ready made Salwar Kameezes...the advantage in Irla is that you get lots of these really cheap Kurtas which you can team with tights (available in so many colours) and you have a casual outfit ready pronto!!!

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

Of course, Shoppers' Stop is in the west and not the East. Silly me! Years since I shopped at that store!

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,324 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Gandhi Market the place to go to for readymade churidhars

If you are ok to drive about 45 minutes on one of the days, then try Phoenix Mills.

http://www.highstreetphoenix.com/

There's a Pantaloons and a Lifestyle there. So many nice food options, restaurants, etc. Makes for a nice evening if you end the shopping with drinks and dinner and music at Blue Frog which is nearby.

…blogspot.com/2008/05/finally-music-performa…

There is a Ritu Kumar also in Phoenix, basically you can walk in and look at the price tags and raise your eyebrows and walk out :)

- Deepa