We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

Have read mainly good reviews on this hotel but wondering how good it's locale is for a short 3 night / 2 day stay in Mumbai and is it too far from the airport given an 8:30 am flight out on the 5/9? Any thoughts would be well received.

Johnok

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

The Ascot is far from the airport. The airport is in North Mumbai whereas the Ascot is at the southern tip.

However, why would you want to stay close to the airport when all the sightseeing is in the South? For South Mumbai the Ascot is excellently located, close to all major sights. You aren't going to be on a layover and have a three night stay. Strongly recommend you go with the Ascot.

For a 8.30 am flight, you would be travelling to the airport early in the morning and in the South-North (anti-rush hour commute) direction. The drive to the domestic airport won't be longer than 40 minutes in clear weather and maybe an hour if it is raining. Add 10-12 minutes for international airport at that time of day. Not too bad.

sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

HI and thanks for the advice. You have been very helpful in clearing up my concerns particularly regarding the early morning return trip to the airport. Reassuring to know that it is against the traffic. Any tips for the best way to secure transport to the airport at that time of the day to avoid missing my flight? I believe using the set price taxi service on my way in is the way to go but what about on the way out? Can this kind of taxi service be pre booked at the hotel and are they reliable?

I plan to follow Deepa_Krishnan's "a woman's view of Mumbai" tour itinerary for the Monday (as I gather most attractions are closed) and then look at an Elephanta Island tour on the Tuesday. The cricketer's restaurant in town sounds like where I will be having dinner. Any other suggestions re attractions or things to do that I could consider for my short 2 day stay?

Cheers and thanks again!

Johnok

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

Deepa's got it covered beautifully.... no one can do it better.

The cricketer's restaurant is called Tendulkar's and is walking distance from the Ascot. It is located at Apollo Bunder next to the Cottage Industries Emporium, which, incidentally, is one store you might like to visit. It is a govt. run store which stocks handicraft items, some of which are very good.

You might like to make prior reservations for the restaurant. The telephone numbers are: +91-22-22829934 or 22829935.

For your departure, you do not need to make any prepaid reservations for a taxi at all. There will be regular cabs outside Ascot, who will be very pleased to drive you to the ariport--that's what they spend all night outside hotels for. At the highest, you might make sure a regular cab is available in the morning by informing the front desk the previous morning to pre-arrange one.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

I meant to type informing the front desk the previous evening, not morning.

sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

Thanks again Mumbai Res,

I now feel more relaxed about my plans for Mumbai. Trip advisor is a fantastic service. A great way to get current info about places you are unfamiliar with. Thanks for the tip on Tendulker's. Any chance you can ensure the "man" is on duty between the 2nd and 5th? I believe India are playing the poms in a one dayer about that time - so probably no chance!

Cheers,

Johnok

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

John, pick up a copy of TimeOut Mumbai from the newstands. It's a great way to find out what's happening.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

You're right. He is not in India at this time, so no chance of seeing him.

I have seen him there. My kids have gone up to him and taken pics. He is very nice to children and spent considerable time talking to my kids and their friends.

sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

Hi MumbaiRes,

I wonder if he would be as nice to an Aussie cricket supporter or perhaps, we might relive some of the famous sledges that have been shared between the two teams over the years.

Cheers,

Johnok

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

Over the years, reading about him and the way he is, I would imagine he would probably be extra nice to you, because of the high regard he has for Aussie cricket. Comes through in his interviews.

One of his best relationships in the cricketing fraternity has been with Shane Warne although they had an on-field battle for several years (Warne claimed he had Sachin nightmares!). That's what makes all-time greats like him and Warne tick, I guess. And go on and on.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ascot Hotel - central or too far from airport?

One amazing statistic continues to boggle my mind, although people might claim he is finished and stuff ( I don't agree -- everyone is enttitled to bad phases; some might seem a bit longish). He already has an aggregate of over 25,000 international runs (10,000+ test and 15,000+ ODI) to his name. That record is gonna stand for some time, particularly since he hasn't finished yet!