We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MUMBAI International to Domestic Airport Transfer

Somerset, England
6 posts
Save Topic
MUMBAI International to Domestic Airport Transfer

Hello, I am after some advice please.

I am due to fly in on The Virgin Flight from London to Mumbai arriving April 1st however I have just been informed that they have moved the flight and so I will now arrive at 11:35 am (if on time??) it was originallt 10:30.

The problem is that I have booked a flight to Goa with Spicejet departing at 14:05 (so check in at 13:35). I originally thought that leaving 3 hours to connect would definately be long enough to transfer and leave some spare time for late arrival etc etc however i am now worried about only having 2 hours to do this.

Can anyone tell me how long it has taken them in the past from literally landing to checking in over at the domestic terminal and also has anyone got any tips on maybe how to save some time if required.

Hope you can help

Thankyou!!

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
499 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MUMBAI International to Domestic Airport Transfer

once your aircraft touches down, you'll take about 15 mins to taxi to the terminal and get off, then 20-30 mins to clear immigration, then 15 mins to collect baggage & pass through customs.

While the process as i've described it, takes an hour, I've frequently completed this in a half hour. :)

Once you've done the above, you have 2 choices to reach the domestic terminal

a. use the inter-terminal free shuttle bus.

b. use a paid private taxi.

the inter terminal bus leaves every hour, but if there are more passengers, then theres an extra bus every half hour. The bus takes 15-20 minutes to reach the domestic terminal. The route taken is the inside perimeter road. There is a small gate inside the terminal building after you exit from the customs counter and go in the direction of the Shuttle Bus as directed by signposts or just ask someone at the help desk.

The private taxi takes longer, about half hour and uses the city streets to get there. You can hire the taxi at the pre-paid taxi counter just before you leave the terminal. The taxi will leave as per your convenience.

I think you should first visit the free shuttle bus area and ask them when the bus leaves next and if its a long time away, you can take the taxi.

kami

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MUMBAI International to Domestic Airport Transfer

What a lovely reply, kami.

I came back just two days ago from London, my flight landed at 11:40 and I was out and sitting in my car at 12:05.

Granted, I flew business, but immigration was not more than 5-10 minutes for anyone, even economy passengers. There were 17 counters (or more), so it was really really quick.

I got lucky with baggage, mine came through early, although they did not send the Priority bags first.

At 12:00 noon there will be little or no traffic between the international and domestic airports. So 20 minutes should do it.

The correct pre-paid taxi to take is the one run by the government, and not by private operators. Some of the private counters say "pre-paid taxi" loudly in the hope that you'll take them. The government one, on the other hand, is silent :) It has a yellow board I think.

- Deepa

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MUMBAI International to Domestic Airport Transfer

Well, sometimes you may be lucky and get out in a very short time and sometimes you may have a real bad day with a few flights clubbing and making things go haywire. So it is always better to be prepared for the worst and if things work out fine then it is always a bonus!!! It is generally not so crowded at the terminal when you arrive at around 11 am so it should not be a problem to get the free shuttle from inside the airport and usually they leave every half hour when there are more passengers so you should be able to get the bus. In case you find that the bus is not leaving in the next few minutes just go out to the prepaid taxi counter or if you don't have too much luggage and are travelling alone then take the auto rickshaw which will work out much cheaper too. The prepaid taxi will be more than twice the cost of the rickshaw but the taxi will be safer. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MUMBAI International to Domestic Airport Transfer

I have a similar question. A friend and I are both flying into Mumbai in about a week. I fly directly into the International terminal from London, arriving at 12:40 am. My friends flies internationally into Delhi, and then will be taking a GoAir flight from Delhi to Mumbai to meet me. His GoAir flight arrives at 12:50 am, I am assuming to the domestic terminal.

Based on this thread, I am thinking that the best thing for us to do is have my friend take either the shuttle or prepaid taxi (depending on the soonest leaving) after he collects his bags, and go to the international terminal to meet me. Since I will have to clear through immigrations. Then we can meet our hotel car together which will take us to our hotel.

Does this sound like the best plan?

Also, we are staying at the Ascot Hotel in Colaba. I know that is far south end and far from the airport. How long, in the middle of the night, will it take us to get there? I'm considering just booking one night, the night we arrive, at a very close by airport hotel so we can crash there when we arrive and not have to drive an hour or more to Colaba. Then go to Ascot the next day. ?? Any advice to that? And if so, what is a decent and clean, but reasonably priced, airport hotel? Don't need anything fancy if we're just crashing there that one night of arrival, but do want it to be clean.

Thanks!!!

5. Re: MUMBAI International to Domestic Airport Transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 07:49