We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
192 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

I'm trying to figure out what some good gifts might be to bring back from Delhi to western kids.

9 & 6 years old & they've specifically requested toys or games that local kids in India play with.

What are popular toys/ games amongst kids in India & where in Delhi would I find them?

any ideas welcome!

Thank you!

Batya

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

You can search for some Fisher Price stores in Delhi. Attached is their link : http://www.fisher-price.com/in/locator/

In South Delhi, some that I am aware of are:

Maya Toys, Hauz Khas

Toy Kingdom, Hauz Khas.

Titus.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
192 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

Thank you Titus

but... maybe I wasn't clear enough, they have plenty of Fisher Price, Playmobile and other American & European branded toys. I'm looking for typical INDIAN children's toys/ games...

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Batya

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

There's a puzzle-kind game called 'Tangram', thats one option for you. Then there's a game which has straws which the children can use to make interesting and creative models (I forget its name though). These two come immediately to mind, as I had sent these to my cousin's kids who are born and brought up in the US and they loved them. I will think of more and get back soon.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

There are some interesting wooden toys you could carry back but I'm not sure where in Delhi you could get those. Maybe someone else knows where to send you for them.....

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

Batya, I was searching for some Indian Toy Manufacturers on Google and came across this link:

sportsgoodsindia.org/pdf/Germany_Toys___Gaim…

It has contact details of the manufacturers. Some of them are based in Delhi or NCR.

Looking for shops. I would suggest you walk into a stationary shop nearby your place of residence in Delhi. They do keep stock of some local Indian toys. I have rarely seen a shop that sells only Indian Toys.

Titus.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
729 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

Also, you could go through this link of Flipkart.com which has some toys for kids:

flipkart.com/store/…

Titus.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

Batya, I've sent 'Channapatna wooden toys' to my nieces & nephews in the USA and they love them. But, I'm absolutely unsure where in Delhi you'd find some.

Other than this, a lot of games we played growing up didn't involve 'toys'...they were outdoor games like marbles, kite flying, 'seven stones', hopscotch etc. Maybe you can buy some marbles and have somebody teach you how to play them, Indian-style. Or, we used to have these 'kitchen' sets, to play at home on a rainy day.

There are a few Indian games I have at home, but, kids don't play them any more; only nostalgic adults :). Look for 'Pachisi' or 'Dayakattai' boards - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachisi

Or, 'Pallanguzhi' (pronounced 'pallanguyi') -

traditionalgames.in/home/property-games/pall…

homeshop18.com/kreeda-pallanguzhi/…

Here's a story that talks about some Indian board-games:

www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?266781

These games are very enjoyable.

If you want books too, look for Indian stories from 'Amar Chitra Katha'. They cover mythology, humour, fantasy etc. & make for great reading. I especially love the witty Birbal. Another option I use for gifting, is 'Pratham books', who have contemporary Indian stories for children: http://www.prathambooks.org/

Edited: 16 August 2012, 12:35
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
192 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

Thank you all for the good suggestions!

Batya

Fremont, California
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

You could go through the below link of Fun2learn.com which has good science toys and educational toys for kids:

fun2learn.com/Construction_Science_India_s/2…

fun2learn.com/Language_Toys_India_s/1853.htm

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what are some good/ popular INDIAN KIDS TOYS/ GAMES?

Might be a struggle to get it on the plane but a carrom board might go down well, we enjoyed it for a while and it is uniquely Indian.