We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thoughts on congested Old Delhi

arizona
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
thoughts on congested Old Delhi

If you are planning to use the metro, rickshaw or tuk tuk as transportation, is staying at a hotel in Old Delhi still a bad area to be in? Is it hard to walk to the metro if you are in this area? Are there too many people that get in your way or is it the motor traffic? I can see that it looks dirty and crowded. I don't care about that so much. It also looks to have allot of character and culture. It looks to be close to many cultural attractions.There is even a cultural heritage walk offered.

Most T A volunteer advisors say stay away from this area, but then I read from many tourists, that they really liked the location. Is it way to touristy... is that part of it?

If it is hard to maneuver your way to get to the metro from the hotels that are in Old Delhi, then I think I understand the advice to stay away. I am trying to get a clear picture and apply this to what my priorities are.

Thanks for advice, it really helps in making a choice.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thoughts on congested Old Delhi

Cyberhippie is a big fan of Paharganj, it's a part of Delhi that is popular with budget travellers. If you are on a budget it is a good place to be, as there are many inexpensive stay options. Here is a video that shows you the place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-KBl7-3fuA

Watch out for some popular Delhi scams (if you put scam in the search box above, you will find them), and it's not difficult to stay away from them. Is the area touristy? Yes, the whole area is largely a set of budget hotels and tourist services.

There are no walking tours of Paharganj.

The walking tours that you see are of other parts of Old Delhi, like Chandni Chowk, Kinari Bazaar (wedding market), Dariba (silver market), Jama Masjid, Paranthewali Gally etc.

Edited: 11 July 2011, 07:43
2. Re: thoughts on congested Old Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2011, 16:14
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,080 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thoughts on congested Old Delhi

I just remembered, the Salaam Balak Trust runs a walk by street kids that goes to Paharganj: www.salaambaalaktrust.com/city-walk-faq.asp

Edited: 11 July 2011, 08:27
Delhi
Level Contributor
362 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: thoughts on congested Old Delhi

well if idea is to use transportation like tuk tuk and rickshaw then this is the area to stay in - OLD DELHI. Crowded and all but with such transportation yes you would get to metro easily.

Its not touristy from a stay perspective , its basically for backpackers. So really depends what you want to see. I dont think hotels of similar quality have different prices . In nicer areas probably you can get better hotels for another USD 20-25 .

arizona
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thoughts on congested Old Delhi

Thanks y'all for your feedback, it is really helpful!

6. Re: thoughts on congested Old Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 18:47