We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antique Markets In Delhi

brisbane
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Antique Markets In Delhi

I am traveling to Delhi in October, I am looking to buy old Indian furniture , carpets, and items. Are there any markets that sell items like this. ??

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Antique Markets In Delhi

HI

Sunder Nagar and Baba Kharak singh Market are best for Antique. There are numbers of shops in Connaught place and around in Delhi where you can get carpets.

Dawanti

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antique Markets In Delhi

Youy should go to Sharma Farm in Chhatarpur in South Delhi. It's an amazing experience to viist this place. It has used, replicas and antique stuff in a couple of huge sheds. You can get incredibly cool stuff there, from Raj era to Art Deco furniture, camel saddles, Ceramic & Wooden bowls, Tibetan trunks, Rajasthani cupboards and rolltop desks etc. Interestingly you can see them making some of the 'new' antiques on site.

As per Indian laws export of items more than 100 years old is prohibited, However, if something truly appeals, Sharma Farm's artisans can do an imitation for a fraction of the price.

Sunder Nagar has one or two small shops selling antiques they are available at the market behind Jama Masjid also. But beware many pieces are antique replicas and not real antique.

And while exporting antiques you need certtificate of it's age from The Archaeological Survey of India .

brisbane
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antique Markets In Delhi

Thankyou, if I have one day would you think i can visit both, do you think i should hire a driver to take me to both. I am staying in Noida

brisbane
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antique Markets In Delhi

thank you very much

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,626 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antique Markets In Delhi

Yes ! You can visit both in a day. You can spend a full day at Sharma Farm itself..........

brisbane
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antique Markets In Delhi

thanks again.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,502 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antique Markets In Delhi

Since you are in Noida, you could try Indian Crafts at Okhla, which has two warehouses full of stuff. That will be nearby. It is quite similar to the offerings at Sharma Farms.

http://www.indian-crafts.in/

8. Re: Antique Markets In Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2011, 09:47