We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PaharGanj area?

SAN DIEGO
Level Contributor
290 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
PaharGanj area?

good area to stay?

thanks

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,572 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PaharGanj area?

No, Karol Bagh is much better and safe place to stay

Edited: 14 August 2010, 12:17
Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, National Capital Territory of Delhi, Punjab, Haryana, Dalhousie, India
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PaharGanj area?

as far as Budget Accommodations Go, if U R below 35 and adventurous then the Eclectic Bohemian PaharGunj would suit you just fine, with additional advantages of being v close to both the Main Rail Station as well as the happening Connaught Place, CP with all its brilliant restaurants, pubs, night clubs and shopping

right in the middle of New and Old Delhi, just 3 kms from the latter

If not, then Karol Bagh (K Baghs) offers excellent value, which is also amidst a large Market Area, though one which is aimed at Domestics as opposed to both PaharGunj n CP which are v v tourist (both International & Domestics) friendly

BTW both areas are close to the brilliant Delhi Metro Stations which weave across Delhi, and would by end of yr connect the airport also

those apart, you should also consider the very many options of brilliant Homestays and cheap B&Bs/Inns right across Delhi

Edited: 14 August 2010, 13:34
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PaharGanj area?

Although Karol Bagh is safer, yet I don't see any safety concern in Pahargnaj, which is the backpackers paradise and offers cheapest accommodation in Delhi.

As already advised by Sunjay, in Paharganj you will be at the hub of the action and get to meet many other backpackers.

If you are looking for calm and peaceful accommodation, neither of these will suit you. New Rajinder Nagar (hardly 1 kilometer away from Karol Bagh) will be more appropriate. Many B&Bs and home stays are available in there.

Vivek

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PaharGanj area?

AshisRoy,

It's irresponsible to make an unqualified statement like this. Can you please elaborate, why Paharganj is not a safe place ? and what can happen at Paharganj that can not happen at Karol Bagh ?

I am 100 % with Sunjay and Vivek on this.

Jamaica
Level Contributor
891 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: PaharGanj area?

I had a bad experience in Paharganj in the nineties relating to safety, it may have been an anomaly or maybe the area is a good place to stay in recent times.

new delhi
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: PaharGanj area?

Although there are different brains with different opinions. I would rather say that all the places where you go in this world are unsafe, if one is not concerned about his/her safety themselves.

Paharganj, Karol bagh, Connaught place, South Delhi every area has it's own reputation but saying "No" to the area where one had never been or lived is just not worthit.

Paharganj is good for thousands of backpackers who travel to India with a thought of spending less but on the other hand if one is concerned about safety, no one is safe in ***** star hotels too. If you go the hotel in Paharganj without an ID, no one will allow you to enter the guest rooms untill & unless you are known to the management.

But on the other hand if you wanna see someone in ***** star hotel who cares has anyone ever shown his/her ID in ***** star hotel. Maximum answers will be "NO".

I would highly reccomend Paharganj which will be sooner known as extended Connaught Place.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,572 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PaharGanj area?

What I have said, is based on my personal experience. I had bitter experience in Paharganj. But, in Karol bagh, I had pleasant and peaceful stay in several occasion. Someone may have preference in a particular area, but that does'nt mean, he will accuse a person for his comment, in an illiterate manner.

Edited: 15 August 2010, 12:28
San Jose, California
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: PaharGanj area?

Avoid PaharGanj area because of the following concern

- Prostitution is rampant

- Crime is high

- Hotels are shaddy, rip off

- Stay in Connaught Place or Janpath

If you are looking for girls/drugs then PaharGanj is the place otherwise avoid.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PaharGanj area?

One bad unexplained experience does not make Paharganj a dangerous place, all the hotels ARE NOT a rip off

The recent case of a girl held hostage and raped saw the girl being picked up by a shady operator in Connaught place and taken to a office in Karolbagh.........What does this tell us, avoid these two places altogether, or just that bad things happen everywhere.

Paharganj may have drugs and prostitution but unless your looking to avail yourself of these things they are unlikely to touch you, other than a whispered offer of drugs by a fleeting chancer, most won't even experience this.

I've been visiting Paharganj for years with no problems and my wife is happy to wander around on her own, she feels perfectly safe.....

Hotel wise you get what you pay for and many many cases Paharganj offers by far the best deals in Delhi, some maye be a bit frayed at the edges and don't have the highest level of cleanlines, but they aren't fleapits or rip off for the most part. Just basic rooms at basic prices.

Decent rooms with attached bathrooms and cable/sat TV can be had for as little as 400Rps...

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,096 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PaharGanj area?

Dear Depart -

When you ask "good area to stay?", it's a really open ended question.

Good area for whom? For some Paharganj is perfect, and for some it is the last place they'd go.

I would not stay in Paharganj if you paid me to go there (it's not my travel style), whereas cyberhippie here is perfectly happy there (and so are many others).

The best answer I can possibly give you is that Paharganj has traditionally been a budget hotel and backpacker hostel area. If that is your travel style, it will suit your needs (will suit your pocket as well). Most of the small lodges etc also arrange cars/drivers etc all of it cheaply. There are also some hotels in Paharganj that are sort of 2-star.

Here are several videos of the area that you can see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfVxf2cfqpY

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmiq-ChM38s&NR=1

- Deepa

Edited: 15 August 2010, 14:47