We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upset Tummy: Any effective treatement?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Upset Tummy: Any effective treatement?

Hello,

I will be arriving in India in less than 2 weeks for a 3.5 week trip. Both North and some south.

Was wondering if there is any medication I need to know about if I get a persistent diarrhea? I will be carrying of course the classical Anti Diarrhea medication, as well as a set of Cipro-like anti biotics.

But when I was traveling to Egypt last year, someone on TA advised me to take Streptoquin (www.mupeg.com/p_gastro_Streptoquin_01.htm) . It costrs next to nothing there (around $1 or so) and it's extremely effective. I didn't want to take anti-biotics and was cautious about the Streptoquin as it was sold over the counter, not based on a prescription. But it worked like magik, I wish I had taken it earlier.

Is there something similar for India?

Thanks!

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
for Kolkata, Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upset Tummy: Any effective treatement?

Go to any good chemist shop, he will sort you out. Most people here usually do not visit a doctor for simple diarrhoea, they just ask their local chemist. While I would not advise you to take unprescribed medication on your own, I have found in my own experience that Norflox-Tz (anti-biotic) does work very well for simple diarrhoea and thats what my chemist usually gives me. Its Norfloxacin and tinidazole, you should ask your GP if that would be ok for you to take if required.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,452 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upset Tummy: Any effective treatement?

You can buy "Eldoper Capsule/Tablets" along with Sporalac Tablets and keep with you once you arrive in India and carry all thru your trip, both of this combination works best in most of the cases until unless there are extreme levels when it goes to next level that is AntiBiotics. Personally even i carry the above on all of my trips and yes they are very cheap may be around $2 max i guess for both.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upset Tummy: Any effective treatement?

Thx. Went to see a doctor and she recommended Zytromax. I have used it in the past, it's has a wide anti-biotic coverage, and sounds like more appropriate than Cipro for India.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,923 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upset Tummy: Any effective treatement?

Might sound silly, but a cup of black tea helps enormously. For a dose of the trots, it's ideal to have half a cup of plain boiled rice with a good scrape of sea salt on top, and half a glass of dry white wine. Don't take anything else to eat that day.,

Guaranteed to stop the trots and doesn't bind you up like most medications. Like I said, it might sound silly, but it's better for you than a handful of pills, doesn't have any side affects and it works.

You all probably think I sound like the local witch doctor.

Travelkat

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Upset Tummy: Any effective treatement?

The ciproflacxin tinadazol combination is a good bet if you get the runs. Parasites, ameoba, bacterial all require slightly different medication to combat the sickness.

This combination will fight all of them for you.

Altermatively

The runs with slight stomach cramps and gas is usually Giardia

Solution Flagyle

The runs with stomach cramps, vomiting and fever usually Dysentry

Solution Norfloxcin/Ciproflaxcin

The runs with stomach cramps, vomiting, blood in your stool and fever usually Ameobic Dysentry

Solution Ciproflaxcin - Tinadizol

This is emergency info only I highly recommend seeing a doctor to accertain exactly what you have and obtain the correct medicine

Also make sure you use rehydration packets to keep your fluids up.

Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Upset Tummy: Any effective treatement?

Obviously the best thing is prevention. Most bouts of sickness upset tummies etc is simply dehydration. We have been to Turkey many times, the Dominican Republic two years ago, Egypt last year where people were dropping like flies and couldnt go more than 10 feet from the toilet.

In march we went to Kerala and in all these trips we have never been ill when all around us people have been really ill.

The answer is quite simple, These countries get seriously hot and we are not used to it, we can live quite happily in the Uk on 5 cups of tea a day and other fluids from food and cold drinks and we are used to it. But go somewhere very hot and we simply sweat buckets and dehydrate causing all these illnesses, people blame the food (which it can be occasionally but not often) .

If you dont want to get ill drink AT LEAST 3 litres of bottled water a day PLUS match every alcoholic drink with more water.

We are in Goa for a month and we are already taking asidophulous which builds up the digestive system to cope with the change of food and use homeopathic remedies for everything else.

We havnt been ill abroad for years now, not even slightly so it must be working.

Hope this helps

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,079 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upset Tummy: Any effective treatement?

I have found that eating plain, boiled rice hels a lot...should be easy to fin as well!

8. Re: Upset Tummy: Any effective treatement?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2010, 09:45