We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to shop for custom made clothes or shoes in Delhi

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
76 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Where to shop for custom made clothes or shoes in Delhi

I am traveling to Delhi, Agra and Jaipur and am a bit of a shopping freak. I am hoping to add a day or so to Delhi to shop. I would welcome suggestions as to reputable places to find custom made tunics or dresses etc. I understand Jaipur has excellent jewelry. Is that also true for Delhi. Thanks for your help.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
52 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to shop for custom made clothes or shoes in Delhi

Hi there

if you mean custom made *western* dresses, then you would get them better from Pittsburgh. I mean, you can get them here, with some big brands, but, they will give it an Indian touch, but can't customize anything for you in a day or two...and will ofcourse charge you a fortune....I know all that since I have been shopping for my wedding for quite some time now...But, yes, if you are talking Indian traditional dresses, then, you could get something very handy, quickly in any good markets in Delhi, such as Karol Bagh or Chandni Chowk...a ready-made thingy could fit you very well with minimum alterations, that the seller will be pleased to do...

agra is famous for shoes (hand made), but, these days, its all about brands...u will need to do a real good search in the deeper and yet thinner markets in Agra...

Jewellery is indeed very good in Delhi...whether gold or diamond..you could go to a street called Bank Street in Karol Bagh area, and find the best names in the business like Bholasons/Mehrasons etc, and get some nice discounts...on vs/vvs/vvs2 diamonds stuff...

don't search for jewellery or clothes in cheapy places like Pahar Ganj in delhi, you will be looted...

happy shopping, prepare to empty all your credit cards once you are here...

cheers

Ankie

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,607 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to shop for custom made clothes or shoes in Delhi

Marigot1,

Rodeoankie has already given you good advice. My two cents are;

There are some very fine dress designers in New Delhi, but most of them are as expensive as the ones in New York or Milan.... So I'll say, drop the idea of getting a custom made dress in Delhi. However you have almost all the western brands available here, so you may go for them.

One shop that comes to my mind for custom made business suits is Vaish at Rivoli, you may check them out.

Delhi has a lot of jewelry shops. I think your best bet will be Tanishq showrooms. This is a jewelry chain run by Tatas (Of Taj Hotel Fame), here you are assured of quality and prices. TBZ at Janpath is another good shop.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to shop for custom made clothes or shoes in Delhi

I went with a friend recently to the very upscale Crescent Mall (near the Qutb Minar). This is a very nice place to go to, if you want to see how Delhi's elite shop. Several designers have their showrooms here, and the clothes range from purely Indian, to purely Western, to Indo-Western. There is a pleasant coffee shop at the top, where you can get great views of the Qutb Minar over some very good coffee. We certainly enjoyed our trip, although we window shopped and didn't buy anything. There is an exquisite wedding cards / event invitation card shop in this mall that does custom work. Gorgeous. You'll want to organise a wedding just so you can order the cards from here! And "mall" is a very poor description of this place, the architecture is beautiful, the building is sophisticated and very nice.

The other place to go to is Santushti Complex, here also the atmosphere is very nice. There are shops selling jewellery, carpets (Carpet Cellar), fabrics, clothing, lovely exotic children's wear, bedspreads, linen, and so on. I bought myself a really nice piece of jewellery, and everyone's been asking me where I got it. Santushti is laid out in a garden setting, with little pathways, and the shops are like cottages. The ambience is nice, there is a small restaurant where they serve Italian food.

There are several more places to go to, but that would involve writing a thesis :) If you are able to say more clearly whether you are doing luxury shopping or bargain hunting, I can get more specific.

Jewellery is excellent in Delhi, yes, what sort are you looking for?

- Deepa

4. Re: Where to shop for custom made clothes or shoes in Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 11:48