We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

I will be in Delhi in October on a Friday and a Saturday - does anyone have any recommendations for the best markets (with the most variety in one market). Time is short and I don't want to go to expensive shops in Connaught Place, i would like to go to markets where I can bargain. Is Old Delhi (Chandri Chowk)cheaper than markets in Karol Bagh? I know there are the emporiums in Janpath St at fixed prices, but i'm sure there are cheaper places in Delhi to shop than there. I will be travelling through Rajasthan to Jaipur, Jodphur and Jaisalmer so would shopping be cheaper in these places rather than Delhi? I am also visiting Mumbai, Hyderabad and Varanasi. Obviously Delhi is probably the most touristy city in India, with its location to the Taj (Golden Triangle), so does that mean prices will be more expensive there? Please give me some feedback - I would like to buy some costume jewellery, Indian clothing, shoes, and general souvenirs from India. Is the shop Fabindia comparable to bargaining at markets?

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

Try Lajpath Nagar market in Delhi for cloth and costume jewellery.

Hyderabad is known for pearls so you should shop for those but at trusted shops. Jaipur is known for Tie-&-Dye cloth. You should look for colourful cushion covers, bedsheets etc. there.

Fabindia is a fixed price shop. No bargaining there. The stuff there is reasonably priced, well-trusted and well-liked. It is preferred by many as you save the haggling and you're assured of the quality.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

Thank you sandysurve77 for your reply. What part of Delhi is Lajpath Nagar Market in please? You don't mean Laj Pat Rai do you? Also, do you know where in Delhi I would find a Fabindia store?

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
346 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

Go to

Lajpat Nagar

Sarojini Nagar Market

Janpath near Connaught Place

For good clothes Lodhi Colony Market

It will be better to shop in Delhi Sarojini Nagar as this is very cheap and good stuff . If you shop in cities in Jaipur, Jodhpur, Varanasi etc you can be cheated off.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

Lajpat Rai Market or Lajpat Nagar as it is popularly known, is in the South of Delhi and you will find great bargains on readymade Indian clothes (kurtis, suits, skirts) and costume jewellery. Sarojini Nagar, also in the South, is the place to pick up cheap western wear and export rejects. For a discussion on costume jewellery markets in Delhi please view this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304551-i4149-k199…

You are likely to find a larger variety of textiles in Rajasthan and Varanasi though not necessarily cheaper than Delhi. And NO they won’t rip you off anymore than their counterparts elsewhere in the country!

Mumbai also has some great shopping haunts:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g304554-i4228-k199…

FabIndia’s prices are far higher than what you would pay for in the local markets, but their large collection of mix n match ensembles under one roof is hard to beat. Do browse their stores (the largest ones) in Greater Kailash I, M Block or Khan Market even if you choose not to buy.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

For souvenirs, Janpath (off Connaught Place in Delhi) is a great place for bargain hunting, with kiosks selling cotton clothes and curios. The Tibetan shops sell attractive silver jewellery and all sorts of other things, but you must bargain. Here's a video of Janpath:

geobeats.com/videoclips/…janpath-market

If you want fixed price shops, then CCIE and Jawahar Vyapar Bhavan are good ‘one-stop shops’ to explore for handicrafts from different parts of India. On Baba Kharak Singh Marg, there are several state handicraft emporia, which provide an opportunity to see the wide range of woodcarving, painting, sculpture and other arts of India.

I also enjoy shopping at Dilli Haat where craftsmen from all over India come and sell their wares. It has a village ambience, and you can buy all sorts of handicrafts, jewellery and clothes there. You can get your hair braided as well :)

See this video of Dilli Haat:

geobeats.com/videoclips/…dilli-haat

While you are in Delhi, I don't think you should miss Chandni Chowk. Take a rickshaw ride if you can.

geobeats.com/videoclips/…chandni-chowk

Fabindia is very good for clothes, but it also has a range of home furnishings and decor:

geobeats.com/videoclips/…fabindia

new delhi
Level Contributor
100 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

Be in at Sarojni Nagar,Janpath for clothes

What kind of interests you have for the shopping. It depends on that...

U can also visit Chandni chowk. There's specially market for books in daryaganj....

Karol bagh is pretty fine for various shopping stuff. Especially imoprted ones...

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

Thank you everyone for your replies, they have been very helpful. It looks like the best markets for what I'm looking for are in the South of Delhi, however I am staying in central new delhi near the railway station as I have a 6.15 am train to Agra to catch. How far is it to the markets in South Delhi from the central train station and what's the best mode of transport to get there? I want to go to Lajpath Nagar, Sarojini Nagar and Dilli Haat (do you bargain at Dilli Haat?) These place sound like I will get a good variety of clothes (western and Indian) jewellery, and Indian crafts/souvenirs. Janpath Market sounds good as well, even tho I'm going to other parts of Indian, it doesn't sound like I'll see the diversity of crafts/souvinirs as I will here in one place.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

Thank you everyone for your replies, they have been very helpful. It looks like the best markets for what I'm looking for are in the South of Delhi, however I am staying in central new delhi near the railway station as I have a 6.15 am train to Agra to catch. How far is it to the markets in South Delhi from the central train station and what's the best mode of transport to get there? I want to go to Lajpath Nagar, Sarojini Nagar and Dilli Haat (do you bargain at Dilli Haat?) These place sound like I will get a good variety of clothes (western and Indian) jewellery, and Indian crafts/souvenirs. Janpath Market sounds good as well, even tho I'm going to other parts of Indian, it doesn't sound like I'll see the diversity of crafts/souvinirs as I will here in one place.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

From Central Delhi to any of the South Delhi markets is about 25-40 minutes (depending upon traffic) by auto-rikshaw.

10. Re: Cheap Markets in Delhi/India

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 01:48