We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delhi or Mumbai - help please

West Midlands
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Delhi or Mumbai - help please

A few questions regarding my forthcoming trip to India.

1. Where should I go? Delhi or Mumbai?

Many of my friends say Delhi is much nicer for the tourist. Looking at the hotels it seems that the Delhi hotels are nicer than those in Mumbai.

I would like to do the following:

Sightseeing

Shopping

Visit nice restaurants/bars

2. I am looking at going in November when the weather is nice. When is the weather better early Nov or late November?

Hopefully someone can help me asap.

Thanks

DP

1. Re: Delhi or Mumbai - help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2007, 19:39
2. Re: Delhi or Mumbai - help please

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2007, 19:39
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delhi or Mumbai - help please

Hi DP

Delhi is a very tourist friendly place and perhaps a great destination for all first time India visitors. You can do the "golden triangle of Delhi - Jaipur and Agra (Taj Mahal)" in a couple of days. End november is better than early november. Shopping is better in Delhi than Mumbai since there are large markets that cater to the tourist population ( Janpath Market). The bars and restaurants in Delhi and Bombay are equally good.

4. Re: Delhi or Mumbai - help please

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

Removed on: 14 June 2007, 23:36
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delhi or Mumbai - help please

Very difficult question.

Sightseeing: Delhi scores big, because of monuments and proximity to Taj Mahal.

Shopping: Indian ethnic apparel and handicraft, again Delhi scores, but for Indian jewellery, Bombay is superior.

Resturants: Equal for restaurants. Indian cuisine, Delhi is better. International cuisine, Bombay would be better.

Night life: Bombay scores. I don't mean the bargirl type. Even in respect of happening nightclubs and bars, Bombay is better any time.

Who takes the decision? You!

Enjoy the trip, wherever it is to eventually.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Delhi or Mumbai - help please

I personally prefer Mumbai. Delhi is great for sight-seeing with monuments all over the place but for shopping and visiting restaurants / bars, I think Mumbai scores really big. Its much more organised and easier to travel around. Plus it is much more comfortable to move around Mumbai even if its really late at night. I must admit that travelling at night in Delhi really makes me nervous.

November is quite nice in Mumbai. Late November is better with the city cooling down a bit after the October heat.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delhi or Mumbai - help please

For a first time visitor Delhi is a a better place since its closer to Agra ( taj mahal ) and jaipur ( rajastahn) .It is tourist friendly and dont you get put off by the airport. Thats not the most welcoming of places. They are working on making it world class though. Delhi is a better city in terms of roads, cleanliness and general appeal but Bombay is a more happening city in terms of night life.Bombay is also much safer. Maybe you could do both eh? :)

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
708 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delhi or Mumbai - help please

i think the posts are right on target here...delhi might be a good option for a first timer...that was my basis for deciding to do delhi in my first india visit.

this time i'm doing mumbai more for the upbeat city feel...and since most of the posters are saying about nightlife here, can i ask for names of bars or restaurants that i shouldn't miss while im there in august? :)

im in my mid-30s so i would rather skip the bars which are frequented by highschoolers. :) i love indian food (although less spicy only) so where should i have the best indian meal? i dn't prefer hotels as i feel it's too "formal" and too "presentable". some resto with authentic indian feel. or even a popular street stall which are frequented by locals. (like the hotdog stands in NY) :)

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delhi or Mumbai - help please

It depends on what kind of Indian food you want.

If you seek North Indian food (the chicken tikka variety), Khyber at Kalaghoda is very popular with tourists. I personally prefer Copper Chimney which is also at Kalaghoda. Both are quite close to where you are proposing to stay. Another good option is Gaylord (if you can imagine being in a restaurant with a name like that). It is right opposite your hotel -- Chateau Windsor at Churchgate.

For another popular Indian cuisine-- Coastal South Western India -- mainly seafood, the place to go is Trishna (behind Copper Chimney). Kalaghoda is quickly becoming Restaurant Row considering the number of restaurants it has.

I have recently edited the Dining Overview in the Inside pages of the Mumbai forum. Look for it. Has comprehensive dining options in South Mumbai with cost indications. Here's the link

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g304554-s501/Mumbai-B…

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delhi or Mumbai - help please

I would strongly recommend staying away from roadside food, particularly in the monsoon. Locals are immune -- you will not be. You don't want to spend the rest of your holiday in a hospital.