We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much area can we cover in a day?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How much area can we cover in a day?

This is just the beginning of many questions to come. Please bear with me….

For our upcoming trip to India, I have been reading and you tubing like crazy to better understand what to see and do.

We will have 5 days on our own in Dehli before joining a tour. We want to see Temple sights and especially shopping areas in that time.

It seems like we could cover quite a bit of area by using the Metro.

How much area can we cover in a given day?

On the Violet Line: Lotus Temple, Iskcon Temple, Kalkaji Temple, Lajport Nagar Market,

Khan Market. Is that too much to see in on day?

Are these Temples each different enough to want to see all of them?

Next day, maybe Yellow line, etc.

Looking for your thoughts!

21 replies to this topic
Muzaffarpur, India
Destination Expert
for Sikkim, Manali, New Delhi, Darjeeling, Bihar, Katra, Udaipur, Patna, India, Gangtok, Varanasi, Amritsar
Level Contributor
19,856 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much area can we cover in a day?

After a long time I am seeing some one on T.A. who is giving so many days to Delhi.

All 3 temples are different,dont know how many more temple you are planning to visit in 5 days but among 3,you may miss Kalkaji temple,Lotus temple and Iskon are worth visiting.Lotus temple gate is around 10 minute walk from metro station,other option is e rikhsaw.Iscon temple is good 25-30 minute walk from Lotus temple,can hire auto/e rikhsaw,from Iskon nearest metro is Nehru place.Lajpath Nagar central market is small walking from metro or you can take riksaw,its one of the major market which local shop,mainly for cloths.Khan market is just an upscale markrt having branded shops and restaurants,can skip.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much area can we cover in a day?

The violet line will take you to two other temples/ Gurudwaras. The Bangla sahib near Janpath metro and Gurudwara Sisganj Sahib near Lal Quila metro. The Jumma masjid is also on the same line.

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much area can we cover in a day?

I am not fan of using Metro for multiple places sight seeing.

I would suggest you to hire a car & driver for full day means 08 to 10 hours . He will show you with ease : India Gate , President House , Lotus Temple , Kalka Ji , Qutub Tower , ISCON , Khan Markets etc.

Day 02 you may plan by metro to visit Old Delhi. Get off Jama Mosque station take Rickshaw to visit Jama Mosque , Red Fort , Chandani Chowk Markets , Spice & Dry fruits markets near Fatehpuri.

Akshardham Temple , you may go with Metro .

Markets to visit Connaught & Janpath , Khan Markets and Chandani Chowk only others have no attarctions among foreign tourists.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much area can we cover in a day?

5 days are Great time to meet Delhi Locals and Experience its soul ... You can have a look at following

Delhi Heritage walks with Sohail Hashmi

https:/…

Delhi Karavan - Asif Khan Dehelvi

https://www.facebook.com/DelhiKaravan/

Old Delhi Tours

https://www.facebook.com/pdwkb/

You can also have a look at Delhi By cycle , Delhi Magic , Cooking Class with Jyoti

Happy Journey

5. Re: How much area can we cover in a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2018, 20:50

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much area can we cover in a day?

Hi traveller,

Welcome to TA forum.

You can cover all this sites and market maximum within 3 days or less than 3 days.

One day for temples

One day for markets

One day for delhi monuments

Regards

M_OEHAGRA

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much area can we cover in a day?

The only thing in Delhi one must not miss is Akhsardham. You will need half of the day to visit Akhsardham. Never miss fountain show at night.

Lotus temple is good for architectural design.

I have been living in Delhi for 10 years. In my view, there are only three things to do in Delhi

1. Akhsardham

2. Food at Chandni Chowk

and

3. Weekly market like Sunday Market in Dariyaganj.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
835 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much area can we cover in a day?

I can’t understand this obsession to lead all foreign tourists up the cab route. Delhi Metro is no more crowded than other metros the world over. London NYC Tokyo etc. How’s traveling by the Violet line difficult ? You put them in a cab cocooned from all the vibrancy of the city. Their idea of the city and its people will be limited to what the cab driver has to say. I can understand if it’s a coach. At least there will a mix of tourists, a professional guide. A 8 hour cab tour zipping across the city is the worst idea. It is just fulfilling the need for covering 6 touchpoints. DIY is universally accepted mode to see a country or a city.

Agra, Uttar...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much area can we cover in a day?

5 days is a real good time to explore Delhi. Not only the monuments but you can have the experience of the city's life.

Divide the city in 5 zones and dedicate one day for each zone. This way you won't waste time in traffic again and again traveling from one place to another.

Metro is a good option and the time what you have will give you sufficient time to walk around.

Regards

Walks By Arif

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much area can we cover in a day?

Thanks for great information!

Other Temples that I had thought of seeing:

Akshardham, Jama Masjid Mosque

This is sounding like Temple overload.....

I certainly don't want to only see Temples, but also don't want to miss any that would be interesting.

The idea of so many religions in one place is fascinating to me.

It would seem to me that the Metro would cover area far faster than even a car/driver.

I assume rick shaws from the Metro to the sites?

Many of the usual tourist sights we will see when we join our tour.

Reply to: How much area can we cover in a day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted