We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Jaffna from Colombo

Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Travel to Jaffna from Colombo

I'm planning on traveling to Jaffna with my parents in Feb 2013. We're debating the best way (in terms of travel time) of getting there from Colombo. My parents want to hire an a/c van and drive there - the thought of sitting in a van for 10 hours or so is not thrilling to me. I'd like to fly, but this makes my parents very nervous as they've heard that the flights aren't reliable (we need to get back to Colombo to catch our flight home) and that security in Jaffna airport can be lengthy and intrusive. Has anyone been there recently? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Pp

1. Re: Travel to Jaffna from Colombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 00:28
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Jaffna from Colombo

Flights to Jaffna depart from Ratmalana Airport - approx. 20 km south of Colombo.

International flights depart from Bandaranaike International Airport - approx. 35 km north of Colombo.

Hans

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Jaffna from Colombo

Ten hours by car from Colombo sounds optimistic to me. In late September it took us 7 hours from Dambulla. A good part of the road is great but the parts that were still being finished gave us lengthy delays - a few times we were waiting to get through for twenty minutes or more. The work continued until late in the night. The President has since passed by, I believe, so maybe the work has been finished by now.

Fly, if you can!

Archi

4. Re: Travel to Jaffna from Colombo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 18:45
Get answers to your questions about Jaffna