We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independence Day 2018

London, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Independence Day 2018

Hi! I arrive on 2nd Feb, 2days before Independence Day, will there be celebrations in Colombo or should I head elsewhere?

After my stay in Colombo I will head down to Hikkaduwa, my hotel will arrange a pick-up for me from my hotel in Colombo to Hikkaduwa for 70USD, is this reasonable?

Thank you

5 replies to this topic
Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,148 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independence Day 2018

Hi,

The main ceremony usually held in Colombo Galle face ground with great military parade. Government will announced if they shifted main event away from Colombo. It's a national holiday.

Colombo to Hikkaduwa via A2 main coastal road is like 100 km & here drop rate is 75 per km hence fair price is 100 x 75 is lkr 7500 which is approximately USD 50. But if you are travelling via expressway then more kms and the cost is like lkr 9000 [ USD 60] plus lkr 400 toll

BRgds

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Independence Day 2018

Yep. Should be pretty big next year since it will be 70.

There's supposed to an International cricket tournament as well

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Independence Day 2018

Thank you both for your replies. Still working tirelessly on the itinerary. When is the location usually announced for the celebrations?

Also, how easy is it to get tickets for a cricket match and how much are they generally? I'm not a fan but if it's reasonable I don't see why not :)

Last question - stuck between Negombo or Colombo - help!

Edited: 23 October 2017, 19:11
Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
730 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Independence Day 2018

Hi. ,unless the match is against India I would think you could go along on the day of the game and gain admittance,the queue could be rather large though, the option would be to go Cricket H Q at Maitland Place and purchase there,the tickets are really cheap compared to UK prices.If it's an overs match it's definitely worth going,the atmosphere is great.Shame we miss it by 4 days,never mind if I'm still breathing I will be there in November when England are touring.

Choice between Columbo and Negombo,depends what you want to do and how long you are going to stay at that location.

Edited: 23 October 2017, 20:41
London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Independence Day 2018

Thanks for your reply and for advising on the cricket.

I'll be spending 2 days in either Colombo or Negombo and then heading south to Hikkaduwa. Just not sure which would be better. Whilst in either Negombo or Colombo I think I'll visit Pinnawala. No other plans as yet...

Reply to: Independence Day 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa
Recent Conversations