We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for trip to Hikkaduwa

Dubai
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for trip to Hikkaduwa

We will be visiting Hikkaduwa from 17th til 21st Aug and we need some advice on the following please:

- Will we need a driver for our trip to Sri Lanka or can we rely on taxis?

- Can you suggest other excursions around Hikkaduwa? We would like to see as many attractions in and around Hikkaduwa as possible, but limit each drive to two hours max as the 2 year old with us gets fidgety on long rides.

- are there pharmacies selling 40-50% DEET mosquito repellent?

- any recommended seafood restaurants?

- any other recommendations? advice?

Many thanks

3 replies to this topic
Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for trip to Hikkaduwa

No driver required for entire trip as many tuk tuk or hiring cars available at Hikkaduwa. Re air port transfer, take a cab to Hikka (If trains not comfort) , that is 2.5-3 hrs drive from air pot.

No 40% deet mosq repellent available here. Only 13% one called 'Soffell" cream.

Galle Dutch fort, Unawatuna beach, Rumassala Jungle beach, Boossa solo elephant, Madu river safari (not sure witha kid), Moonstaone mins, Sea turtle hatcheries around Hikkaduwa.

Hikka sea is rough during these days only swim behind the reef protected area just behind Hikka Tranz Hotel.

Refresh, Curry bowl, Red Lobster, JLH are few good restaurants and many others in walking distance

BRgds

Edited: 14 August 2017, 17:53
Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
310 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for trip to Hikkaduwa

- Easy to find a taxi around Hikkaduwa.You can take a taxi from airport or arrange a taxi from Hikka to pick you up. Both do for same rates.

- 40% -50% deet repellent is hard to find and quite expensive . But there are some places around Hikka which sells some international brands like autan . you can try one shop in front of bansei resort and one 100m south to that.

- Sea nearby coral sands hotel is best part to have a sea bath .Chaya tranz beach is good if you are looking for some waves. Morning and evening there is a chance to see some turtles at southern tip of Chaya tranz beach.

- Refresh , JLH , Mamas , Moonbeam , Red lobster restaurants are good for seafood in town.

Enjoy your stay in Hikka.

Level Contributor
33 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for trip to Hikkaduwa

I'd recommend if you are a group of three and planning to drive far distances to befriend a Tuk Tuk driver and use that one driver for all your transportation needs - why I found if you used the same one they were more inclined to give goood rates. We used a Tuk Tuk driver named Rohitha. I still have his number. He is specifically in Hikkaduwa - that's where he resides. The owner of the house recommended him. He was a very SAFE Tuk Tuk driver and we felt he was really reasonable when he charged us. There was a day or two when he wasn't available and we'd hail a random Tuk Tuk drive and they would charge us more then him. If you are renting a property through Airbnb they usually leave a contact for a driver. I'd use that one if I were you. For two reasons: 1) better rates and 2) if you were like us and staying at a property for more then a month it's simply safer -you don't have the whole neighbourhood know where you are staying and for how long. Not to say Sri Lanka is dangerous because we NEVER felt unsafe but simply we are cautious like that. Just my opinion. If you would like his number I can send you his number. If you are more then three you would obviously be required to use a vehicle cause tuk tuks are small.

Reply to: Advice for trip to Hikkaduwa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa
Recent Conversations