We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute holiday planned in Sri Lanka, please help

london
Level Contributor
47 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute holiday planned in Sri Lanka, please help

Hello,

We've just decided to have a last minute holiday to Sri Lanka, a country we've never been, we are a couple and a 9 years old boy, we will be arriving on 18/8 and will be staying one night in Colombo to rest and explore the capital, we would like then to have one week on the beach, me and my son are intermediate surfers, we can surf on our own but not top surfers neither, we are looking for a nice beach destination with decent but not big waves, and somewhere we can rent surf boards too.

I had a look at Hikkaduwa and the place seems to cater for what we want, however, I am worried about the surfing conditions, the rain and about a place we would stay at, due to the plenty of options available, we need some kind of confort and probably some spa facilities near by but not expensive neither, also, we will not be surfing everyday and would need recommendations for things to do with a nine years old boy, I have some questions, I would appreciate if you can answer them.

How is the surf in Hikkaduwa during the last 10 days of august? do we have to travel to surf?

How can we reach Hikkaduwa from our hotel in Colombo? and cost please.

Any suggestions for nice place to stay by the beach, not expensive, near by good and honest surf shop.

suggestion of good seafood restaurants.

Anything travel tip or not to do thing while in Sri Lanka.

Good Spa.

any other suggestion or recommendation is welcomed, it is our first visit to Sri Lanka and lloking forward to it.

Thanks & regards

Othmane

Surf Lanka Me Camp
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Reef End Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Trekwings
Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Scuba & Snorkeling
SUP Sri Lanka
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
5 replies to this topic
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
460 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute holiday planned in Sri Lanka, please help

Have you had a look at Weligama? I don't really know about surfing but I have seen people surf in Weligama Bay.

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute holiday planned in Sri Lanka, please help

Hi,

Hikkaduwa surfing season starts further late like Dec at Narigama area. Now days SW sea is rough also big waves,Hence surfing is not often recommended particularly those who have little experience.

There are many out door cafes & restaurants at Hikaduwa central part and towards bit more south part. Hang around Citrus Hotel around there are many like Refresh, Curry bowl, JLH restaurant, Red lobster etc.

Colombo-Hikkaduwa is roughly 100 km and Taxi ,buses or trains is your option.

BRgds

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute holiday planned in Sri Lanka, please help

This time of year definitely head for welligama rather than hikkaduwa. Hikkaduwa is not surfable at this time of year. Welligama has a sand break and is ok on a good day at this time. Maybe stay in and around mirissa and take day trips over to welligama.

The best surf is over on the east at this time of year so if surfing is your number 1 priority that is where you should head. Arugam bay is a long way for 1 week though. Approx 8 hours from colomno.

Have fun

Ambalangoda, Sri...
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute holiday planned in Sri Lanka, please help

Yes. In general official peak season for SW is Nov/Dec-Apr.The season then shift up from south to south east coast towards Arugambay from April.

But out side that time window in Weligama [or Hiriketiya for bit advance surfers] you get some good days as a sand break beach.for beginners weligama fits usually.One of the best place to have your first lessons. Go early to ocean then practice till 9-10 am. That is the best time.

BRgds

Edited: 07 August 2017, 17:51
london
Level Contributor
47 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute holiday planned in Sri Lanka, please help

Thank you Guys.

We have now finally decided to stay for a week in Weligama area but not sure where? any recommendations for a clean beach front accomodation with A/C and mosquito nets and surf shops.

we would also like to hang around in seafood restaurants nearby.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards

Othmane

Reply to: Last minute holiday planned in Sri Lanka, please help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hikkaduwa
Recent Conversations