We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huacachina - overall impressions

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
272 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Huacachina - overall impressions

I couldn't find a place on TA to write a review about Huacachina in general. In any case, I recently came through for a night after visiting Nazca. Seemed like this place was past it's prime. It was one of the dirtiest (trash everywhere) places I visited in Peru .. also, lots of loose dogs that came onto the restaurant terraces and roamed around the area. Fortunately, I arrived on a Sunday night so it wasn't very loud and, Monday morning was somewhat peaceful. Walking on the dunes and grabbing some drinks were fun but the place could use a good scrubbing.

2 replies to this topic
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Huacachina - overall impressions

I agree, better to stay in Paracas.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
272 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Huacachina - overall impressions

Info for next time .... interestingly, nearly all of the recommendations I found said to stay there rather than Ica proper. Our hotel was good (El Huacachinero), but it was just the overall feel of the place that was disappointing. Also, we had a tour of Hacienda La Caravedo lined up and it would have been tougher to coordinate from Paracas.

To anyone reading this, the Caravedo tour was excellent. Much different than the cattle-car, tasting-heavy focus of some of the other bodegas packaged into tours. It is a little further afoot, but to us, much worth it. Really pretty grounds, old and new distillery aspects, excellent guide, great food and, last but not least, top-notch pisco.

Reply to: Huacachina - overall impressions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Huacachina
More Huacachina Topics