We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru Tours (Machu Picchu, Huacachina, Paracas, Ica)

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Peru Tours (Machu Picchu, Huacachina, Paracas, Ica)

I'm trying to book the below tours for my family trip to Peru this summer, but am looking for recommendations on good companies for these tours. I found some online but not sure which ones are legit & good (especially since we'll probably have to submit credit card information online to book). I couldn't find any recent posts about this so am starting my own =)

Boat Tour of Ballestas Islands (Paracas)

Huacachina Sand Dunes Buggy Tour

Nazca Lines Tour (Ica)

**Also, we're staying in Urubamba before heading to Machu Picchu. The only all-inclusive guided one-day group tour I found departs from Cusco. Are there any that depart from Urubamba or Ollantaytambo?

I know people have suggested booking some of these tours after getting there, but we are on a tight schedule with very limited time in each place so we want to make sure we are booking these in advance.

I appreciate any information or suggestions. Thank you!!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Ballestas Islands
Ballestas Islands
400 Reviews
Pisco, Peru
Paracas
Paracas
Ica Region, Peru
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Nazca
Nazca
Ica Region, Peru
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
Urubamba
Urubamba
Sacred Valley, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru Tours (Machu Picchu, Huacachina, Paracas, Ica)

Our family went to Peru last year too. Hope the information has not changed much. We also booked everything in advance and you are right its much more time efficient and convenient to book everything before hand.

First, Lima -Nazca -Ica. Depends how many days you have. We only spent 2 nights 3 days before flying to Cuzco. Our hotel was Inka path which we enjoy, its like a guest house , good price and good variety of room. We booked a while in advance a got a spacious room with balcony, private bathroom, and a refrigerator. We did not book with a tour company but with a private local guide Jhonny through http://www.limacitytravel.com. He can arrange all tours according to your schedule. We were picked up at the airport - to hotel- half day city tour- the next day picked up to Nazca lines- Huacachina- did some sand dune buggy tour- back to Lima- the next morning picked up to the airport to catch our flight to Cuzco. Its easier to deal with one than many and he is quite reliable and the price is reasonable too.

If you like to go to Nazca lines I recommended you to spend the night at Huacachina because its a long travel, we left at 6 am and got back to hotel at mid night- very tiring. Besides Huacachina is beautiful and worth spending time there.

To Cuzco: we used Sun Gate tour to arrange everything for us from pick up from the airport until drop off at the end of our trip, very happy with their service. I would recommend you to stay at Ollantaytambo than Urubamba as its the main stop for train to Machu Picchu and its a very pretty little town with great view of the mountain. Generally commercial car is not accessible to Aqua calentes a town at the base of Machu Picchu but our friend just went this April and she said currently train is disabled at a certain point for maintenance. However, a tour company will have the most update information when you book with them.

Another thing is Aqua calentes is a tiny town, book your hotel early. We booked a little late and only had guest house available then. If you go in high season...book everything early just to be sure.

Have a great trip

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Nazca
Nazca
Ica Region, Peru
Ica
Ica
Ica Region, Peru
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Ollantaytambo
Ollantaytambo
Sacred Valley, Peru
Urubamba
Urubamba
Sacred Valley, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
344 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru Tours (Machu Picchu, Huacachina, Paracas, Ica)

You can visit the Ballestas Island, followed by an overnight in Huacachina with the sanddunes and the next day the overflight of the Nazca Lines. In Cusco, as you mentioned all tours depart from Cusco, If you want a tour of the Sacred Valley from Urubamba, you will need to take a private tour. Hope this information helps.

Magical Cuzco Tours Team!

Mentioned in this post
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
Nazca
Nazca
Ica Region, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Urubamba
Urubamba
Sacred Valley, Peru
Crowsnest Pass...
Level Contributor
525 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru Tours (Machu Picchu, Huacachina, Paracas, Ica)

We used Peru Golden Shuttle:

http://www.perugoldenshuttle.com/index.html

to arrange a day trip to Ballestas Islands, Huacachina Oasis and a winery tour a few years ago. It was a great, but long, day as we ended it at the airport before a 18 hour journey home. The vehicle was in good condition, we had both a driver and guide who both spoke English and everything worked out the way we had anticipated. The driver for the dune buggy tour was good/safe and we also had the opportunity to go sandboarding.

They also don't require credit card information prior to the trip. I can't remember if they even accept credit cards as we paid by cash.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Ballestas Islands
Ballestas Islands
400 Reviews
Pisco, Peru
Huacachina
Huacachina
Ica Region, Peru
4. Re: Peru Tours (Machu Picchu, Huacachina, Paracas, Ica)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2016, 18:47
Get answers to your questions about Huacachina
More Huacachina Topics