We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel in nigeria

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
1,321 reviews
travel in nigeria

hi guys

a friend of mine is going to lagos for a work

is it so dangerous as i read on line wandering around?

is there anything to visit in lagos or nearby?

thanks in advance as usual

48 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
1. Re: travel in nigeria

You can read many things online. Can you be specific about what it is you read and where it is you read it? That way, someone with credible information can address your specific concerns.

However, just stating that your read things online is a little meaningless.

As far as I know, the safety situation in Lagos is the same as it would be for any large metropolitan area in a developing country. There are no specific security concerns, but the usual security precautions should be observed (driving with the window up in traffic jams, not displaying flashy jewellry or expensive accessories, not wandering into poorly lit neighbourhoods, etcetera). If you friend wanted to wander around in the daytime, I see no problem. If he is Caucasian or east Asian, he might get some stares and hollers in the outerlying neighbourhoods, but nothing more than that.

I would not advise wandering about at night for anyone. Even Lagosians don't generally do this.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
1,321 reviews
2. Re: travel in nigeria

thanks duke

have u been there?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
3. Re: travel in nigeria

I lived there for many years. I still have family there. And I visit often. My last visit was a few months ago. And I maintain close (virtually daily) contact with my family and close friends.

Why do you ask?

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
1,321 reviews
4. Re: travel in nigeria

i was just curious

so u r from nigeria?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
5. Re: travel in nigeria

Haha, is this really important, sir?

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
1,321 reviews
6. Re: travel in nigeria

no

just curios

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
7. Re: travel in nigeria

I notice you never were able to share the specifics of all this dangerous information you said you had been reading. Let's use these forums as a place to share useful information, not spread irresponsible paranoia.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
1,321 reviews
8. Re: travel in nigeria

what do u mean? is it safe traveling there?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
9. Re: travel in nigeria

My meaning is quite clear. Anybody can read anything online. If you're going to spread rumours, at least have the decency to quote the sources where you read this so-called dangerous information so that those who know better can tell you what is credible and what is not.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
1,321 reviews
10. Re: travel in nigeria

ok i will

Reply to: travel in nigeria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted