We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get to Chefchaouen from Casablanca or Rabat

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Topic
best way to get to Chefchaouen from Casablanca or Rabat

Hi,

we are thinking of visiting Chefcauouen but are wondering if it is out of the way. Presuming we begin at Casablanca or Rabat, would it make more sense to travel first to Meknes and then to Chefchouen via the Rif Mountains - stay in Chefchouen - and then drive in the direction of Fes?

OR

From Casablanca/Rabat (haven't decided) drive to Chefchaouen and then to Meknes and Fes?

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Weston, CT
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get to Chefchaouen from Casablanca or Rabat

Lizzie,

I loved Chefchaouen! It was one of my most favorite places in Morocco. You should go and spend at least one night. I stayed two. I'm going to be no good advising you on the route to get there because we had a guide who was wonderful and took care of all of that for us. We went from Fes to Chefchaouen via Volubilus and Meknes and the Mountains. It was a beautiful drive.

If you want go to my profile and look at my trip report for more.

You will love Morocco!

Bklynlow

Singapore, Singapore
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to get to Chefchaouen from Casablanca or Rabat

Thanks for your help, bklynlow! I enjoyed reading your trip report and found it very very helpful. We are thinking of hiring a driver and car so that we can also have a wonderful experience like yours! (:

However, do you think it is necessary to go for the full package -- car/driver + city guide and have the agent book all our accommodation for us? Because we are trying to cut down cost as much as possible, we were thinking of ONLY hiring a car/driver, exploring each city on its our own and booking our own accommodation as well as the camel ride into the Sahara. Would like your opinion, thanks!

thanks ! :)

Weston, CT
Level Contributor
136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to get to Chefchaouen from Casablanca or Rabat

Lizzie,

I felt very much the same way as you when I first started my research into the guide/driver. I found however that having our guide do all of the booking was the most economical way to handle the entire trip. I can also tell you that we were taken places and did things that we never would have found on our own. Our driver was our guide and when he felt that we needed a separate guide for the individual cities he found them for us. There was no hassles at all. I don't know if all the tour companies work the same way but it is definitely worthwhile checking out the one I mentioned in my post. I think you can tell that we were 100% thrilled with the whole experience. We didn't use a travel agent for anything. Instead I turned over all the planning to the guide that I hired. He was very professional and worked with my guidelines and with the itinerary that I had put together. In hindsight I don't even think that I needed to do all of that. I would feel totally comfortable having him do the entire thing. Feel free to email me directly if you need anymore help or advice.

Regards,

Bklynlow

4. Re: best way to get to Chefchaouen from Casablanca or Rabat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2011, 11:54