We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Tiraspol in March

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Tiraspol in March

Hi there,

I am traveling to Tiraspol in March and plan to be there for around 4-5 days visiting a friend, I plan to stay at a hotel and was wondering if there was any advice on considerations that I should take concerning entering and existing Transnistria? On some places I have read that going into Transnistria can be a nightmare and on other places I have read that there is an open border policy between Transnistria and Moldova nowadays, but not sure what the real situation is? I have traveled to difficult places before (Belarus, Russia, etc) but this sounds different since Transnistria for some reason sounds a little more scary and difficult. Any advice insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Tiraspol in March

I'd also like to know if the stories about people being dragged into huts and aggressively questioned about who they are and why they want to enter Transnistria remain true. I know it used to be like that and you would end up having to pay a 'fine' before being allowed into the country, but many websites suggest these sort of draconian experiences are no longer the case.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Tiraspol in March

Hi.

I also plan to travel to Transnistria in March (29-31), with car.

I read a lot about the 'country', and I talked to some friends who were there - it seem like, since the new president is in charge, there was a lot of change - in terms of democracy and normality.

But, if you have some minor trouble with the authorities, you can solve it with 5-10 bucks (how I read/heard)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Tiraspol in March

What's your experience guys?

Kindly share with us :)

Reply to: Traveling to Tiraspol in March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tiraspol