We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desert trip while 6 month pregnant

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35 posts
32 reviews
Desert trip while 6 month pregnant

Hi all,

We are planning on traveling to Wadi Rum in late September. My wife will be almost 6 months pregnant and all is fine until now.

We were wondering whether going on a 4x4 desert trip, followed by an overnight stay in a bedouin camp, is a good idea, considering bumps, food etc.

Any opinions or operators you might recommend?

If not a good idea, any alternatives you might recommend?

Normally we would not mind, but considering the situation, we are a bit more careful.

Thanks a lot!

6 replies to this topic
Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
11,645 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Desert trip while 6 month pregnant

camping over night should be fine

but i leave jeep ride for others to comment

cheers

Raymond

Amman free walking tour

Amman
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
2. Re: Desert trip while 6 month pregnant

Make sure your wife can sit in the front of the vehicle, which is less bumpy. Instruct the driver to take an easy route and all will be fine.

Kearny, New Jersey
Level Contributor
127 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Desert trip while 6 month pregnant

Should be fine if you tell the driver, not too many bumps that i recall, it's pretty flat. might want to say no to climbing..lol

Used beyond wadi rum, very comfortable beds. enjoy.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
171 reviews
4. Re: Desert trip while 6 month pregnant

Yes, you can do your desert trip but as said above, your wife would sit inside the car, in front and driver can take it a little easier, if possible. It is quite bumpy but It can go if he drive slowly. If her condition is good, and maybe she would consult it with her doctor also. I have been 4 month pregnant while driving motorbike, or I mean siting behind on our holiday in Bulgaria and it was OK.

I think all camp have good beds, the camp where I have been had nice bed also. And the type of beds is anyway irrelevant if the woman is pregnant. If you lie on an uncomfortable bed, it's not fun for anyone at all.

NYC Area
Level Contributor
69 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Desert trip while 6 month pregnant

Firstly, congrats on your newest family member. I didn't find the jeep ride particularly bumpy, the ones we've experienced in other destinations were far worse. In fact, our 'jeep' was actually a Toyota pick-up truck with a canopy and from what I could see, so were all the rest of the vehicles in Wadi Rum. We went immediately after lunch, which sounded like a really bad idea but it was all fine - no indigestion at all! That said, I recall having terrible bouts of indigestion throughout my pregnancy so even a 'less' bumpy ride may not be comfortable. If your wife is feeling good and has enough energy, she will probably enjoy, and as added precaution, she can always sit in the front where it would be less bumpy, as was already suggested by others. If you decide to stay overnight, I would highly recommend you have a look at Memories Aicha camp.

We were totally blown away with how beautiful it was (even after a stay at the Four Seasons in Amman), and it's located actually inside the desert vs. some other camps that sit on the outskirts and near a main road. It's pretty new and very, very romantic.

Other options, in case you were not already planning them, would include a Dead Sea or Aqaba resort. Very relaxing as well and your wife will feel pampered at some of these resorts.

Enjoy Jordan, it's an amazing place with wonderful people!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,844 posts
171 reviews
6. Re: Desert trip while 6 month pregnant

fun, it almost feels like everyone tends to recommend the camp and exploits the main point for that

Edited: 08 August 2018, 14:23
Reply to: Desert trip while 6 month pregnant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted