We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

Hi,

I am going to be going to Vietnam on the 22nd of April. I was wondering what the northern terraces of Sapa and Ninh Binh will be like during the earlier stages of my trip?

I understand the weather will be humid during end of may/June. I am planning of seeing as much of the north as I can...and perhaps moving south to the Mekong towards the end of my trip.

Any advice would be great

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh Province, Vietnam
Level Contributor
606 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

The locals start planting the rice at the end of April lasting to mid May and you will have chance to see the green rice terraces over the mountain.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

Hey,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

If the rice is being planted in may, would the terraces not be brown still. Also, do you know what the clarity will be like. ..cloud cover or clear skies?

Thanks again,

Mike

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

Michael the rice paddies will be gloriously green in Ninh Binh at the end of April. Rather sparsely so in Sapa I would have thought, but if planting is still in progress that in itself will be something to behold.

Mentioned in this post
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh
Sapa
Sapa
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

Hi Creaking bones,

Many thanks for your reply..much appreciated!

That's what I was thinking regarding the planting...do you think ninh binh will continue to stay that colour through to mid June?

Thanks again,

Mike

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

Mike it depends on which part(s) of Ninh Binh Province you'll be in. Some areas have two harvests a year and I think the first one is in June or thereabouts, so shortly before that the rice will be ripe and golden yellow.

Very pretty I gather, but I avoid that time of year like the plague as I can't cope with the intense heat and humidity, which is so debilitating that it halves what can be accomplished in a day.

Mentioned in this post
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

Hi creaking Bones,

Again, many thanks for your great reply, much appreciated!

My initial trip is from June-July, but I think I will alter my schedule and get over start of April - start of may.

You sound like an experienced traveller of the north, do you have any recommendations on places to visit? Hoping to great quite far into the paddies/mountain regions as I will have my own transport.

Thanks again,

Mike

Edited: 26 February 2016, 03:04
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

Hmmm Mike, for insurance purposes (and the possibility of an accident is high) please make sure that that you'll be riding/driving legally before you set off and that your travel insurance company will cover you for your chosen means of transport - carefully study the small print for potential get-outs on the company's part.

As for where to go in the north, gosh there are so many stunning places you'll be spoilt for choice. The Sapa area of course, despite it being uber touristy, and Ninh Binh Province (avoiding the tourist hotspot of Tam Coc, apart from early morning before the hordes of day trippers arrive and latish afternoon when they've gone), but also Mai Chau, Moc Chau, Pu Luong Nature Reserve and, decidedly untouristy to date, the multi-day loop from Hanoi to Ha Giang in the far north and back by a different route.

I have Vietnamese friends in Hanoi who know of many other stunning rural places, but those locations are not geared up for foreign tourists and it would be difficult find accommodation without at least a smattering of Vietnamese.

Mentioned in this post
Sapa
Sapa
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh
Tam Coc
Tam Coc
2,282 Reviews
Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

Hi,

Your lengthy replies has been very useful...thank you very much indeed.

Cheers for the heads up regarding insurance, but I think unless your hold a Vietnamese license your insurance will not pay out?

The loop up to Ha Giang is most definitely on my list. I am hoping to return via Cao Bang, but I have the impression a trip like this requires much planning...and a few fingers crossed that I will be able to find accommodation along the way once I arrive in provinces...Do you have experience with these routes?

Cheers again,

Mike

9. Re: Northern Vietnam - End of April/May/June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2017, 11:46