We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Hanoi

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Hanoi

This will be my travel route. Has anyone traveled this way? I'm particularly interested in transportation from Halong to Ninh Binh as I cannot find any source to book a car or taxi. Thanks. Also, anyone has picture of those locations around the end of Feb? I don't want to have these beautiful images in my head and be greeted with brown muddy scene when I arrive.

folsom, california
Level Contributor
173 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Hanoi

Hi, I am taking a similar route in April, but adding Sapa. Our itinerary is Hanoi-Sapa-Ha long- Ninh Binh-Hanoi. I was told by the travel agent that she did not have any contacts for drivers between Halong and Ninh Binh. We would have to get a private driver to come from Hanoi and drive us directly to Ninh Binh Or we would have to return to Hanoi and get a driver from there. I think we will likely just pay a bit more to have a Hanoi driver pick us up in Ha Long and take us directly to Ninh Binh. From what I can see on the map, it seems to me that the most direct route is to go south from Ha long, but I really don't know the roads well enough. Do let me know if you discover a driver from Halong who will take you to Ninh Binh.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Hanoi

Your hotel in Ninh Binh will probably be arrange a car for you. Alternatively you can take a bus from Halong City to Haiphong and another from there to Ninh Binh. The downsides of going by bus are that the bus station where you alight in Haiphong is on the other side of town from the one for Ninh Binh, and the buses are local ones so comfort is not guaranteed.

The rice paddies should have been planted by the end of February, but growth will be sparse and there won't be the unbroken sea of emerald green that prevails a month or so later.

new zealand
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Hanoi

We have arranged a car to pick us up from Halong through our hotel in Ninh Binh at a cost of $103.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,074 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Hanoi

In N. Vietnam everything radiates out from Hanoi, and most Halong cruises start and end in Hanoi. It might seem a more direct route to go from Halong to Ninh Binh, but I would imagine it might take longer if you took the shortcut? Booking a hired car is a simple process - just ask at your hotel (most small hotels are also acting as travel agents in VN). My experience in Halong Bay is limited to Cat Ba Town - a place that really disappointed.

As flyingkiwi says, anything is possible with $103.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 05:43
Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Hanoi

Hi flyingkiwi57,

The local bus runs directly every day from Ha Long bay to Ninh Binh at around 12h00 - 14h00, it is so easy for you to get the bus, and the best way to get to Ninh Binh is by private car with driver, it costs exactly $85.00/ per trip/ 1-4pax/ good car ( maximun $90.00 ), if you have a difficulty to order this, please contact us to help you for this, CreakingBones knew me because she have come to Ninh Binh at least two times, you can ask her about me

new zealand
Level Contributor
170 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Hanoi

Thank you David. I will PM Creaking Bones, I think she has mentioned you in her posts. Or, if you are out there CB can you post me the relevant details.

I had arranged a car with my hotel but they have stopped responding to my emails so I have booked through agoda and sent them an email to let them know. I do not want to be left in Halong Bay if they are unreliable.

Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Hanoi

Sorry for my late answer you because I go out! Yes, it is correct. If you would like to do with me, I will offer it to you.

8. Re: Ha Noi - Ha Long - Ninh Binh - Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2013, 15:02