We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Ninh Binh and Phu Luong

England
Level Contributor
261 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Ninh Binh and Phu Luong

We're just back from a four night trip around Ninh Binh and Phu Luong. Our itinerary was: pick up from Halong Bay and drive to Ninh Binh (stayed at the Tam Coc Garden which was brilliant); full day tour of Ninh Binh countryside and overnight at Ninh Binh; travel to Phu Luong and overnight in a homestay; travel to Mai Chau and overnight at Mai Chau Ecolodge (also lovely but not as good as Tam Coc Garden and more expensive). I wasn't sure how much we'd enjoy this part of our trip, particularly the homestay, but it was fantastic and was the highlight of our holiday. In fact, the only thing I'd change about our whole trip would be to spend less time in Hoi An (a bit touristy) and more in the countryside. We had a brilliant day on motorcycles touring around Ninh Binh and Phu Luong was absolutely beautiful and I'd highly recommend it (and try and go soon as the government is funding new roads into the area to help increase tourism and we saw lots of new homestays being built). Our homestay was basic but one of the best places I've stayed. Basically, like staying in a large garden shed with a balcony looking straight out over amazing views across the Phu Luong countryside, complete with ducks, cows and buffalo. I booked the hotels myself but the rest of the tour and the homestay was arranged with Toan Duong (toantourguide@hotmail.com), who I found through recommendations on Tripadvisor. Toan was brilliant and I can't recommend him highly enough. He made sure everything ran smoothly, showed us lots of really interesting things and was very knowledgeable about Vietnamese history and culture.

Mentioned in this post
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh
Ninh Binh Province, Vietnam
Tam Coc Garden
Tam Coc Garden
949 Reviews
Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
leicester
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Ninh Binh and Phu Luong

Glad to read you appreciated the home stay, often they are so much better than the expensive hotels as you meet local people and experience how most people live. Thanks for taking the time to post your JBR

2. Re: Trip report Ninh Binh and Phu Luong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2018, 10:48