We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
Save Topic
transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

Has anyone have any idea how I can get from Haiphong airport to Halong Bay and also a private or tour bus from Halong Bay to Hanoi

29 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,172 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

If you are taking a Halong Bay cruise, the ground transport from Hanoi is included in the ticket price. Why pay your own transportation costs - all of these tours start and end in Hanoi, and flying into Haiphong only complicates everything.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

Yeah, I have same idea with Daawgon. From Ha Long you also can go to Cat Ba island, Hai Phong by boats or hydrofoil.

Columbus, Ohio
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

Thank you, the problem is made a stupid mistake of flying from Ho chi Minh

City to Haiphong instead of Hanoi so now need to find transportation from Haiphong airport to hotel in Halong Bay join cruise and back to Hanoi.....need suggestions.....help

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

If you choose to go to Ha Long for a cruise then have a look at Eco-Friendly Vietnam as they have cruises that start in Haiphong, hydrofoil to Cat Ba where you join the Ha Long Bay cruise. They are not the cheapest but have whole of boat charters as well.

Cheers Ross

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
299 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

The best would have been to depart from Hanoi indeed.

From the airport, I guess you should take a taxi.

I think there is a bus that does Halong - Hanoi.

But the more convenient for you if you stay overnight in Haiphong would be to start your cruise in Catba. Plus, the island is really nice, with its national parc...and less crowded than Halong!

However, it depends on what type of cruise you want to do (day cruise / 1d-2n / 2d-3n). Usually, standard cruises start and end in Halong, in the tourist crowded places. But if you want to go off the beaten track, then CatBa is definitely a good start. I did a Vietnam tour with Vietnam Insolite and I have nothing to complain about! Their own 2 private Junks in Catba and the tours they offer are amazing. If you are interested, do not hesitate to write to them on behalf of me (transindochinevoyages@gmail.com).

I only know them but I guess there are several other good TA that offers this kind of packages. However, Vietnam Insolite are the only one to actually own 2 Junks that's why they do not depend on anybody and can choose their own itinerary with you.

If you go with such TA. your transportation back to Hanoi won't be a problem..

Hope it helps! Enjoy your cruise there. It's a magnificent place!

Vancouver, BC
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

Wee reconsidering the same option. We are currently in Hoi An and we're looking at flights to Haiphong. Is it difficult to get to halong from their? The flight is cheaper and it seems silly to fly to Hanoi, only to get on a bus and drive 3-4 hours back. Ideally, e would like to fly to Haiphong and take the bus back to Hanoi at the end. Also, do most tours leave out of halong?

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

nigglesworth, most Junk Cruises start from the main wharf at Ha Long Bay.

What you are thinking of is quite doable, all you have to do is make clear your plans at the end of the cruise to go back to Hanoi. Most of the websites will claim that they go away from the crowds but its not so, most go to the same areas of the bay, the same caves etc etc. Only those going from Cat Ba offer something different but still Ha Long Bay in general. As an aside be careful of touts on this forum, they may look like travellers but they may be agents, and some are quite distrustful.

Cheers Ross

Edited: 10 March 2012, 03:24
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

Hey, if you have booked that flight to Hai Phong airport, here is how u get to Ha Long bay :

- get a taxi or motor taxi to Lac long coach station ( write this down on a paper Bến xe Lạc Long ). This shouldn't cost u more than 150,000 VN dong. ( about £3)

- when u get there, most coachs will have Ha Long or Quang Ninh signs on them. Make sure u ask driver for Ha Long cos it could get quiet confusing. Last time I went ticket was 75,000 dong. Always ask for ticket and pay for price written on the ticket.

Journey is about 3 hours from Hai Phong to Ha Long .

It's a long trip , but will be worh it when you are in the bay

Cheers,

Cathy

UK
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

hi, similar question.

Does anyone know when the last boat of the day from Haiphong to Cat ba is? flight from Danang gets in to HaiPhong at 3:45pm, so hydrofoils won't work out.

This is for late Oct/early Nov.

Cathy, you mean to Halong City yes?

I'm thinking about changing flight to go back to Hanoi, then a package, but we really want to do Cat Ba ourselves and not be on a boat for more than 1 night!

Hai Phong, Vietnam
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay

From HaiPhong to HaLong is nearer than Ha Noi to Ha Long (70Km from HaiPhong to Ha Long). So If you fly to Ha Phong. The car pick you up the airport and go to Ha Long. It is easier.

Reply to: transportation Hai Phong airport to Halong Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted