We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going from Malaysia through to Thailand

1 post
Save Topic
Going from Malaysia through to Thailand

I will be travelling Malaysia in the next week after i have finished there want to make my way into Thailand. I have read that crossing the boarding into the south of Thailand can be dangerous due to the conflicts there is this true as i was planning getting a train?? Then from there travel the south island any information or tip would be great :)

4 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going from Malaysia through to Thailand

Riding a train through the restless Southern provinces would not be a high risk activity. I do not recall recent terrorist incidents related to those. Local teachers, police and soldiers are more likely targets. Your travel insurance company might disagree if you need to make a claim. See your government's travel advisories.

You would be visiting the Thai islands in the absolute peak season when prices are highest and many places will be booked up. You might want to look at beach destinations in Malaysia.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,114 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going from Malaysia through to Thailand

The provinces that are the most dangerous are not the ones that the train travels through, although having said that Hat Yai has experienced some bombings in the past.

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going from Malaysia through to Thailand

Well it is not as you think satun is more peaceful compare to other border. It actually depend on places in Thailand. But I haven't heard anything like bombing at satun. Maybe Pattani or other South part of Thailand got.

About the border crossing it depends on nationality whether your nationality there is visa on arrival or not.

There are no public transport to satun

But there are privates taxis i may suggest.

FB I'd:Thai.malay.private.taxi

Line id: yuthahmad

Regarding the train in Thailand I have only seen train from Padang besar to hatyai. As for Thai train its not better than the Malaysia one. But you may still able to train to some part of Thailand.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,715 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going from Malaysia through to Thailand

Yuth, this thread is almost 2 years old. You must have dug deep into the archives to find it.

Reply to: Going from Malaysia through to Thailand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted