We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
39 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

Our taxi picked us up at 7.30am from our hotel in Kuah Langkawi and we headed down to the jetty. When we arrived in Langkawi we purchased two tickets for the ferry to Satun in Thailand that day to ensure we didn’t miss out. They cost 30MYR each.

The customs area does not open until it is nearly time to board the ferry so be patient. When customs opened, people were putting their bags through the xray machine but the customs guy called us forward without having our bags xrayed. We must look honest!

The ferry leaves at 9am and you are given seat numbers although most people just sat where they wanted to sit. The ferry takes about 1.25 hours and the trip is very pretty. The water was beautiful and calm and we passed islands and fishing boats. They played a B grade movie for those that wanted to sit inside the ferry. I sat up on the top of where the air was warm and balmy and the views were unrestricted.

When we got off the ferry we had to fill in our custom entry cards. We had no problems and the whole procedure took 15 minutes. I had an attack of chili revenge so had to find a toilet……fortunately there was a western style toilet (just not confident using the squat type plus really not sure what the arrangement is with the bucket of water and pail!). As it was, there was a basket for toilet paper which means you shouldn’t flush the toilet paper down the toilet as it can block. Really not a very pleasant experience all in all but I was grateful non-the-less! Talking about toilets, I went to one in the Penang airport and had to laugh as there were shoe prints on the toilet seat which explains why they have illustrations in many shopping centre toilets showing you have to sit on a western style toilet not squat over the top!

We now had to find our way to Hat Yai to catch an overnight train to Bangkok.

10 replies to this topic
Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

Hi, mack,

Did you go koh lipe on low season, June? Pls send me your schedule from langkawi to koh lip.

Coz I can't find any ferry to koh lie from langkawi on July.

Thanks

Lee

Scarborough...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

Hi, did you manage to find a ferry? I'm organizing a trip there now and was wandering if there are problems transport-wise around that time of the year.

Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

hi,

im travelling to Koh Lipe during this low season too from 4/6 - 7/6. this is what i have been advised by the expert and my hotel manager:

This how it works to go to/from Lipe in low season from/to Langkawi:

Langkawi - Lipe:

Take the ferry 09.00 from Kuah Jetty with arr Satun 09.15 (thai time). Minivan/taxi to Pak Bara Pier takes almost 1 hour (68 km) and you will be there around 10.30. The transfer to Lipe dep 11.30 and the ride at sea takes 1,5 hour in a big speedboat for over 40 passengers.

Lipe - Langkawi:

You must take the speedboat transfer 09:30 to Pak Bara with arr 11:00. Minivan/taxi 1 hour to Tammalang Pier in Satun. There are ferries dep to Langkawi 13.30 and 16.00 with arr Kuah Jetty 15.45 and 18.15 (malay time).

Phuket
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

Hi , just wonder you are getting the jerry tickets from langkawi to satun > satun by minivan pakbara > pakbar by speedboat to koh lipe is thru agent / online or by your own at jetty ? and the return ? how much in total cost u in THB per person for the return ?

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

I have the same challenge.

We want to travel in August from Langkawi via Satun to Ko Lipe.

How can i book tickets for the two ferries ??

Is a Price of 1000 THB for taxi from Satun to PakBara still actual ??

Kind regards,

Ilias

Wuhan, China
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

You can get the ticket near the pier when you get to Pak bara. There are several agents there. I like the "Adang Sea Tour". If you get the ticket online or before you get there. Make sure it's an open ticket. Then if you delayed by road travel, you can still get the next ferry.

Regarding the road travel from Satun to Pak Bara. I go from Satun to La-gu first by mini van, fare is 50 -100 Baht. It takes about 1 hour or so. From La-gu to Pak bara. I go by Song- Ta- Row, fare is 20 -40 Baht. It takes about 20 Minutes. Both mini van and Song- Ta- Row are shared with other people. The fare is for one person.

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

Could you explain a little in detail where do I board the mini van at satun and where do I get the the song ta row at la gu.Also is this available through the year?

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

Could you explain a little in detail where do I board the mini van at satun and where do I get the the song ta row at la gu.Also is this available through the year?

Edited: 22 September 2015, 08:47
Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

im flying from kuala lumpur to langkawi tomorrow 10/07/2016, flight expected to reach Langkawi Airport at 11am. I can't find any online booking (ferry or boat) to Langkawi due to low season. I understand that i could go via Satun to Lipe. Can you please advice which jetty should i go to? How do i go about? I urgently need help as i have booked my stay in Lipe from 10-12 July

Kathmandu, Nepal
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience

Does anyone have any update info on how to get from Langkawi to Koh Lipe in the off season?

Reply to: Kuah in Langkawi to Satun Thailand by ferry - our experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted