We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Satun to Phuket

Bengaluru, India
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Satun to Phuket

I need some advise regarding travelling from Satun to Phuket. I am planning to reach Satun from Langkawi via ferry. After that how to go about? How often buses are available? What would be the cost? Can we take a taxi from Satun to Phuket? If so how much it will cost?

Is there an immigration office in Satun. How to get immigration clearance when we move from Langkawi (Malaysia) to Satun (Thailand).

Thanks in advance fo your response.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Satun to Phuket

There is of course an immigration office at the ferry pier. You need to check visa requirements carefully before travelling. You might need to take a songtaew from the pier to Satun town where you can find buses running to Phuket Town. Its a long trip, involving travelling through Satun, Trang, Krabi and Phuket provinces.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Satun to Phuket

Immigration clearance is mentioned by bbtony,Bangkok.

You may want to take a taxi/bus to Hatyai (near by town).

Then you can decide to take flight to Phuket (nokair is one of the inland airline) or bus , coach Or taxi.

hatyai by road to Phuket may take 6 hours.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Satun to Phuket

Nok Air don't fly Hat Yai to Phuket, and I don't think any other airline does either.

Bengaluru, India
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Satun to Phuket

Thank you. Are the buses from Satun to Phuket or Hatyai to Phuket available frequently? Can I make an advance online booking?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Satun to Phuket

there are very frequent transport communication between this 2 towns, like bus, taxi , coaches .

it is very frequent , do not worry.

booking on line - I doubt there is , as I am not too sure.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Satun to Phuket

No advance bookings are available online. Its rarely necessary to book in advance except at Songkran and New Year.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Satun to Phuket

as regarding to the airline, sorry for wrong info on Nok Air.

you can later check this airline: happy air. this is a small airline that fly between this 2 towns.

ONLY things is they are not fying now, will resume operation after Aug 12th 2011, However , need to further check again .

Bengaluru, India
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Satun to Phuket

Thanks for all those useful information. We are 4 of us, planning to take this route around end August. If we take a taxi from Satun to Phuket or Hat Yai to Phuket, how much it will cost?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Satun to Phuket

I do not know as I have not travel this route, perhaps Thailand DE will be able to offer some advice.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Satun to Phuket

As said you take the ferry to Satun for Immigration, you can then bus through via Krabi, if you wanted to book a car serice that would be a very long journey and relatively expensive. It is going to be a very long journey anyhow.

Why not take the ferry or very short flight Langkawi to Penang and then take Firefly fligh to Phuket, easy.

Travel Langkawi to Satun is fine and cheap if you are heading for the Southern island, Koh Lanta etc or even Krabi area, but if using to get from Langkawi to Phuket then ferry or flight to Penang and then Firefly ( budget airline ) about 1 hr 10 mins direct to Phuket.

example fares August:-

dep langkawi 0915 arr Penang 0950 about RM 74

You can go into Georgetown for lunch or look around having left your baggage at Penang Airport or check in for Phuket then go into town for a look around.

dep penang 1330 arr Phuket 1345 about RM 195

Total each about RM 269 inc tax, charges, fees etc. approx USD 89

So leaving Langkawi 0915 onto Phuket 1345 is fast.

Edited: 07 July 2011, 20:05