We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Lampang?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,167 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Lampang?

This message is primarily for SweetPea as I've just read she comes from Lampang, but am happy to hear what others have to say too.

We have a day booked to go to Lampang in June and first thing we will visit the elephant hospital and then afterwards we were going to head into Lampang itself. Can someone give me an idea of how we can spend our time there for a few hours, where to eat, what to see - I've read about horse drawn carts, I think our kids would enjoy this - any other suggestions?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Lampang Province, Thailand
25 replies to this topic
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Lampang?

Hi cassnu

After elephants hospital

This is the place might interest you

Wat prakeaew don toa or/and Wat prathat Lampang loung. Both temples houses the emerald buddha ( the same one in the grand palace now). Then Lampang and chieng Mai and many city in the north still have their own kingdom.

Ceramic factory/ making

Wat Jedi soa ( the temple with 20 jedies) the folk lore said any one that's counts less or more that person is rather less fortunate.

I will leave the horse cart to the last before you are heading back to chieng mai.as it can get very hot during the day however June the weather should be

a bit cooler.

I assume your lunch will be included with your tour but if you want to sample local food there's the market ( this is the place you will find horse cart waiting for a tourist ).

Or just go to the river side restaurant. The restaurant is right on the Wang river bank and good food.

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Lampang?

Oh forgot to mention. Another place you might want to see is.

Baan soa nak the teak house that's house the last king of Lampang

These places horse cart, baan soa nak and Wat Jedi soa are pretty much 5- 10 mins by car from each others.

Off to work will come back for more later.

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,167 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Lampang?

Thanks Pea. We don't have lunch included as we have just hired a car and driver in Chiang Mai to take us to the Elephant Hospital and then on to Lampang City, so we will head to the Riverside Restaurant for our lunch - we are vegetarian so I hope they can accommodate us, although we have never had a problem in Thailand before. So I'll make a list of the other places you have suggested and see what time we have - I like the sound of the Teak House.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Lampang
Lampang
Riverside Restaurant
Riverside Restaurant
404 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Lampang?

Ok I'm back for more as promissed ( for short break)

All of the temple I will leave out Prathat Lampang Loung as its out of your way ( even though is very beautiful and most important temple in Lampang history). Just only one day I will concentrates on only the place that close and less travel time from each other

Wat par keaw don Tao or/ Wat Jedi soa

River side restaurant

The horse carts there are two places to go. During the day they are congregate in front of Vieng Thong hotel and evening they move to just in front of Thipchang hotel opposite Uswin market. Uswin market you will find local goods and food as well as fresh fruits. The fare for horse cart are per cart not per person. Half town loop cost us 200 baht and full town loop is 400 baht. But beware as you know in Thailand they charge farang more.

Another market worth to have a look at is TA Geawn market its half way between chieng Mai and Lampang ( leave it on the way back to chieng Mai). This market one have everything beyond your imagination so bewere don't ventures out in the meat section. Just stick to food and sourvineir section and you will be fines.

Edited: 12 March 2012, 09:21
Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Lampang?

Oh and baan soa nuk is a must. Sorry I kept forgetting things I type on iPad they don't have button like laptop.

Have fun

Pea:-)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,167 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Lampang?

Thanks so much Pea, you've been a great help : ) - Really looking forward to going to Lampang in June.

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Lampang?

Lampang not realy worth a visit,quite boring,so if you are on your hols in thailand give it a miss.

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Lampang?

Harry carry

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy my home town. But I think everyone has different expectations when come to travel. Some like to have everything laid out within reach, some enjoy the cultures, some like to be busy and some like to be and blend with the locals and observe how the locals lives. Maybe next time you should do homework about the place you're visiting before hand like Cassnu did to prevents disappointments.

Edited: 10 April 2012, 19:56
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,167 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in Lampang?

Shame you didn't enjoy Lampang harrycarry, I think as we enjoy mixing with the locals we will enjoy our day there, we have been to many places that your average tourist would probably find "boring", but we have really enjoyed - I do not need everything laid our for me like some sort of Disneyland, it's the locals, the markets, the Thai culture that interest me.

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Melbourne
Level Contributor
162 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in Lampang?

I agree with you Cassnu! I'm more interested in the cultural side of places and love to experience what the locals do! How far is Lampang from Chiang Mai? Sounds like an interesting place. With the rate of things I am finding to do in this area, we will be there for a month!! :) Sam

Mentioned in this post
Lampang
Lampang
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Reply to: What to do in Lampang?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lampang