We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best price for open water

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
best price for open water

I checked already a few dive shops this last few days and it seems that prices of diving course are not the same everywhere. I found already for 7000 bahts the open water ( Some places charge up to 9000 for the same open water) .

Do you known the cheapest"secret" shop because I think 7000 is still a bit expensive.There is so many shops, more than 80 I guess, so it's impossible to check every place by myself.

Edited: 09 July 2018, 08:14
50 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,147 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: best price for open water

Why would anyone be after the cheapest dive shop? Wouldnt it be much smarter to ask for the safest?

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
2. Re: best price for open water

If you read the reviews for the dive shops, they look all perfect and the best. It looks like there is no risk. So it's quite smart to just pay the minimum.

My advice to save some money, ask 500 bahts discount For the open water, that's the commission every dive shop pay someone who brings them a customer.

Edited: 09 July 2018, 10:53
Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
3. Re: best price for open water

There are many factors that affect the price of an Open Water, many of which are worth considering - as Psyvolt says there are safety considerations which means that cheapest (or most expensive!) doesn't always mean best. Also I'm not sure where Francoisledoyen gets their information about 500THB commission/discount from, as this is certainly not the case for a number of dive schools we know.

When choosing the best dive shop for you, differences you may want to consider include: the size of group you will be learning in; the size of boats in use and the maximum number of divers that may be on the same dive site as you on your boat; the time you will start and finish each day; whether the dive sites will vary for all four dives or not; whether the dive schools owns and operates their own boats; whether the dive school is registered with their relevant dive agency; if the dive school is registered with the Thai Tourism Authority; if they have insurance included for their courses; how new their equipment is and what the maintenance schedule is, and; what language options the training materials are available in. These are just some of the factors in play, and their importance to you will also have an impact on which questions you may wish to ask when shopping around. Koh Tao is known for being a very cheap place to learn, however local authorities are also in the process of trying to raise minimum prices in order that dive schools are able to contribute more towards eco and environmental efforts, as well as trying to provide better regulation over boat management, dive site preservation, and overall dive school regulation.

If you are only interested in finding the cheapest possible school then you may struggle to find something lower than 7,000THB, as this is already several thousand cheaper than other parts of Thailand.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: best price for open water

Thank you GTA , I never thought it was so difficult to make some bubbles underwater.

Anyway, the weather is so bad right now and it looks like it will be bad the next 10 days at least, I will pospone this project of diving.

Edited: 10 July 2018, 15:37
Koh Tao
Level Contributor
264 posts
5. Re: best price for open water

When breathing 18 metres underwater from a tank of air strapped to your back do you really want the cheapest?

Would you go for the cheapest parachute when jumping out of a plane?

I would choose on reputation, quality and safety above all. GTA makes some excellent points too!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: best price for open water

Hi big blue

I never imagined diving was so risky as it is accessible from 10 years old.

Anyway as I decided to leave tomorrow to Bangkok because of the bad weather....Quite boring, not much to do in koh tao when the sun is not shining...and so expensive.

Edited: 10 July 2018, 17:56
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
7. Re: best price for open water

You will notice that the places offering overpriced courses and promoting their businesses on this forum are the first to recommend you don't choose the cheap courses. I wonder why. These people should really be prohibited from posting on the forum where they run their business because their posts aren't impartial.

A course is a course. You're paying 2000 baht extra for the more expensive courses because they have more/better shop locations/higher rents, more staff per customer, bosses that pay themselves bigger salaries, big flatscreen TVs in their lobby etc etc.

Just choose the cheapest if you don't care about any of that.

Sydney Olympic...
Level Contributor
89 posts
8. Re: best price for open water

Thanks nbtrt, that's very realistic.

Koh Tao, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
9. Re: best price for open water

nrbt I see why you might think that, but that is not the case for all the dive schools that post on these forums. It is also against forum guidelines to self promote, which is why posts such as those by us and Big Blue simply make points that should be considered by students when checking out dive schools. You may have also noticed that we mentioned that most expensive does not always mean best in our original post.

Choosing a dive school is always a very personal decision - some people prefer bigger boats and more students to meet more people, and meet more divers. Some people prefer smaller groups or one on one tuition, particularly if they are nervous or on a special holiday such as a honeymoon. Some people prefer books, over apps and technology. Therefore price can not be the only factor for everyone, and all new divers should feel able to research and question the dive schools they are potentially interested in, without being sold on one specific factor or another.

Koh Tao
Level Contributor
264 posts
10. Re: best price for open water

I'd happily pay extra for a beachfront location, rather than some dusty street.

I would imagine most people would agree.

Reply to: best price for open water
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted