We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spiders & Snakes in Ko Phi Phi

UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Spiders & Snakes in Ko Phi Phi

Hello,

My wife and I are thinking about spending a few days in Ko Phi Phi in March but my wife has a bit of a fear of spiders. What are the chances we will come across spiders and how big are they likely to be? Small spiders are not really an issue but we saw a massive spider on holiday in Bali and that freaked he out for the rest of the week. I know it sounds silly, but if she sees something then she will not relax, which kind of defeats the purpose of the holiday!!

Also, are we likely to come across any snakes? We will spend most of the time in on the beaches (or around the hotel) but we are unlikely to go treking in the rain forest.

Thank you in advance for your help, it is much appreciated!

Tom

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
954 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spiders & Snakes in Ko Phi Phi

Hey,

Doubt you will see many snakes or spiders - generally they are pretty smart and keep away from humans! But one thing you will see is little geckos - so maybe giver her a heads up about them. They are harmless and will scatter as soon as you go near them - so don't freak to much about them.

I have stayed on Phi Phi twice and have only ever seen one spider - not that I have gone looking for them though.

If you stay around the main part of the resort and beach you should be fine.

You will love your stay!

K

Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
954 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spiders & Snakes in Ko Phi Phi

Thanks for your message K. Can I just ask, was the spider you saw large or small - a bit of a silly question I know, but my wife does not mind small spiders - it is just the bigger variety she has a problem with.

Kind Regards,

Tom

India
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spiders & Snakes in Ko Phi Phi

Hi Tom,

I just returned from phi phi and don't recall seeing a single spider!

Lots of ants, though.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spiders & Snakes in Ko Phi Phi

Not a silly question at all! I hate spiders so I understand.

It wasn't that big, its body was small but ong skinny legs - it was actually fascinating to look at, I have never seen a spider like it!

But truly, there are not many spiders - to hot for them maybe?

And as I said earlier, I don't go looking for them and find that works well.

5. Re: Spiders & Snakes in Ko Phi Phi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 09:47