We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

Hi. Next week (April 2018), we are flying into Phuket for our first trip to Thailand. First 2 nights we will stay in Phuket and we are wondering if we should stay in Phi Phi the next 2 nights (before departing to Koh Yao Yai) or just day trip there instead?

We want good snorkeling, no party crowds, uncrowded beaches (if that truly exists), romance and outdoor adventures (kayaking, hiking, caves, etc). TA "things to do" tab has day trips etc but if it's worth it, we want to know how easy/cheap it is to explore the island and Maya Bay, Bamboo Island, etc. for overnight guests. Can you just rent a long tail for the morning and or wander around and visit places on your own?

Our budget for hotels and activities falls into the mid-range and cheaper category, if that helps.

THANK YOU!!!

19 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

Phi Phi is full of party crowds and doesn't really have any uncrowded beaches. You can easily rent a longtail in the morning from the main beaches.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

Phi Phi and the surrounding islands are extremely beautiful and I recommend staying there at least 3 full days.

As mentioned earlier Phi Phi doesn't really have uncrowded beaches but I will recommend renting a long tail boat early morning to explore bamboo island and Maya Bay at your pace or embarking on a speed boat tour that stops at places that you are most interested in seeing. With the speed boat tour you're on their schedule so be aware of that. You can also rent kayaks for around 200 baht. Super fun experience going out to explore the bay. Also when the tide gets extremely low you're able to venture out about 100 yards or so and the locals actually set up a game of soccer! Pretty neat to see.

I'd also recommend hiking to the top of Phi Phi island. It's about 20 minute hike to the top with sweeping panoramic views. Just be aware it's all stairs but the reward is worth it. You'll be asked to pay a fee once at the top to gain access so bring cash. (Baht)

Which area of Phuket are you staying in? Patong is very lively and I didn't enjoy it at all but the beaches in the south such as Karon and Kata were a lot sleepier and I enjoyed that part of Phuket a lot.

Edited: 11 April 2018, 21:40
Orange County...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

Thanks so much for the tips! We're staying near Surin first 2 nights. We've narrowed Phi Phi down to Long Beach area due to (supposed) excellent snorkeling and reef sharks out front or up north a little bit but other than Holiday Inn (over budget), not many seem to have great reviews.

Wanted to stay at The Cove near Rantee Beach but reviews are split 50/50 with some very BAD reviews.

Not many quality hotels in the quieter areas of Phi Phi that don't cost too much?

We will probably hike to viewpoint for sure and want to rent longtail to visit Maya & Bamboo before the tours do.

Somehow have to get from Phi Phi to Koh Yao Yai too. Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Edited: 11 April 2018, 22:40
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

The sharks are easy to see at Long Beach, if you Google Map "Sharks Point Phi Phi" it will show you exactly where to swim. It's about 100-150 metres from shore. Currents are quite strong there so might be worth renting some flippers.

The rest of the snorkeling there is poor. The only thing worth seeing is the sharks.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,429 posts
169 reviews
5. Re: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

Long Beach is at the southern end of the island, the Holiday Inn is at the northern end of the island on Laem Tong beach, which is the nicest beach on the island.

I'd guess about 90% of visitors stay in Tonsai, which is very busy & the place for nightlife. There are still quiet places to stay in Tonsai, away from the beach bars though.

I'm happy to try to answer any specific questions you may have about Phi Phi

Orange County...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

Hello! I've seen many of your posts lately and very much appreciate your help!

We want to stay 2 nights in Phi Phi next week before somehow transferring to Koh Yao Yai.

Looking for excellent snorkeling (hopefully right off beach/hotel), QUIET area, clean nice hotel under $100 per night if possible with good restaurant and swimming beach and easy access to longtails for Phi Phi Leh & Bamboo.

Would you recommend Laem Tong Beach over Long Beach then? Is there any snorkeling from the hotels there? We have our own gear.

Thank you!

Orange County...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

Also, please tell me which area of Tonsai Bay is quiet and away from the bars and parties so we may consider other hotels. Thank you!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,429 posts
169 reviews
8. Re: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

I think for you, Long Beach is probably the best location on the island, its got a good reputation for snorkelling, fairly quiet, enough restaurants to choose from, & plenty of longtail boats to explore around Phi Phi. I don't know anything about the hotels there, think there are 6-7 to choose from

Rooms on Phi Phi are more expensive than most of Thailand, and often the quality is not as good, huge constant demand means they don't really have to compete to attract customers. Virtually all places will have bad reviews, just need to decide what is the best you can get for your budget

You may enjoy hiking from Long Beach up to the Viewpoint & then up to the north end of the island & back. Its a good day out & you can see a lot of the island too

I don't do hotel recommendations, as after my 1st visit, I've stayed at the same hotel the last 7 times, (JJ Bungalow), which is in a quiet area, to the SE of Tonsai, tucked in behind the small hill that separates it from the noise of central Tonsai & the beach bars. Any hotel heading towards Long Beach from there will be away from any music noise.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

You're a lifesaver jaynewcastle11! We like Paradise Pearl Bungalows Phi Phi in Long Beach as some others are a bit over budget or just don't look so good. Fingers crossed we have a clean room, not too many loud neighbors and successfully snorkel with sharks. Any further tips for hiring longboats and which time of day to beat crowds to Maya and Pileh, let me know.

Thanks again!

Edited: 12 April 2018, 00:27
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!

I'm going to recommend the hotel we stayed at which is Phi Phi Island Cabana hotel. It's roughly a 20 minute walk outside of all the beach bars and such but close enough to good restaurants, access to long tail boats, access to kayak rentals, a great beach in Loh Dalam Bay and a pretty decent pool. I wanted to be far away from noise as to not hear it but close enough to where I can walk to it and it checked my boxes.

For whatever reason it has mixed reviews I however thoroughly enjoyed my time there and would book again if needed. The only complaint I had was the mattress was firm but I like soft mattresses.

Either way you decide you will enjoy your time on Phi Phi it's magical I promise you.

Also recommend renting a long tail as early as possible to beat the crowds at Maya Bay and Bamboo Island so you can have paradise to yourselves. It's quite stunning getting to Maya Bay on a long tail. If the seas are rough they won't enter through the bay but they'll drop you off on the other side and you'll have to swim it about 100 yards to a net that rises up to a platform. After you reach the platform you're on the island and maya bay is on the other side.

Enjoy your vacation!

Edited: 12 April 2018, 00:46
Reply to: First Time Stay in Phi Phi for Couple! Please Help!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted