We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi at the pier?

London, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi at the pier?

Hi,

I'll be arriving tomorrow from Ao Nang. How easy will it be to find a taxi at the pier on arrival?

Is it necessary to book it in advance?

Thanks!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi at the pier?

If you want to book in advance

check on this website http://www.krabishuttle.com/homes/carrental

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,532 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi at the pier?

There aren't many taxis on Lanta but lots of tuk tuks meet the ferries, so do quite a few resorts, either meeting their guests or touting for business.

Have you already booked accommodation? If so have you asked them if they'll pick you up? Where abouts on the island are you heading?

London, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi at the pier?

I'm going to The Houben. They offered pick up, but I thought that 600 baht would be a bit expensive.

I'm a bit worried now. Would a Tuk Tuk take us there with suitcases?

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi at the pier?

600 baht is not expensive. It is quite reasonable considering the distance from the pier to The Houben is a 30 minutes ride down south of the island.

London, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi at the pier?

Thank you.

I've emailed them now, hopefully they will still be able to sort out the transfer for us. I'll call them tomorrow morning if I don't get a reply.

Alternatively, I think we'll have to use a Tuk Tuk...

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,532 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi at the pier?

There probably will be one or two songthaew type taxis at the pier, it's possible there may be more or even a saloon car taxi these days as it's over 2 years since I lived on the island. Depending on how many bags you have got and how big they are they should manage them on a tuk tuk, but it might around 30 minutes or more on a tuk tuk to The Houben, as it's around 12 miles

Edit: Oops! was distracted half way through writing this post and the last two posts were made in the interim

Edited: 15 February 2013, 20:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi at the pier?

For future reference, there were plenty of taxis waiting for people coming with the ferry.

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
818 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi at the pier?

Thanks for the update. Did you manage to find out how much the taxis were charging to Kantiang Bay?

MANCHESTER
Level Contributor
17 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi at the pier?

A little late for Andessan, but... you will be offered transport tickets on the ferry to your destination. By sangtao. Anything from 50 to 300 bht depending on distance.you will be corralled and put on the right transport at the lanta ferry terminal. You can also organise your own tuk tuk at the terminal, but you won't save anything worthwhile and you have to do all the organising. Your choice. There are lots of tuK tuks doing the coast road so you won't have any trouble getting from A to B.

Hope this helps. Am currently on Lanta.

Edited: 21 February 2013, 12:08
10. Re: Taxi at the pier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 12:45
Get answers to your questions about Ko Lanta