We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas In Lanta?

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas In Lanta?

Two couples, each with a 12-yr-old daughter will be in Lanta over Christmas. Does anyone know of any scheduled Christmas or Christmas eve activities in communities, resorts, restaurants, etc.? Not necessarily a church service, just something for the girls. Will be staying at Crown Lanta for a week, departing 12/26.

Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas In Lanta?

....???..........Christmas is on 12/25

apart from that i'm pretty sure there will we a X-Mas eve buffet in the Crowne but you can always check

info@crownlanta.com

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas In Lanta?

Thailand is a Buddhist county and Lanta has a large Muslim community, neither of which celebrate Christmas in the religious sense.

There will be Christmas meals in the hotels and some restaurants apart from that I can`t help with any events, maybe somebody else will.

I know you both mean 25/12 and 26/12 :-)

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas In Lanta?

Okay. Thank you for your posts. I'll apologize for being a backwards Yank regarding written dates. I am aware of predominant religions in the region. Regardless, we'd like to celebrate Christmas in some memorable way for the girls but with a Thai flavor, i.e. special activity, dinner, local interaction. I'm beginning to understand that perhaps most major resort have some sort of Christmas eve dinner and I see TimeForLime has a special dinner. These might work but I'd still like to see alternatives if anyone has another suggestion.

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas In Lanta?

After a think about it... there may be places you can find out/ask when your on Lanta.

The German Bakery, some of the Dive Shops or maybe an expat school all around the north of the island will be good places to enquire about events for Christmas. The European families may have something arranged and I'm sure would be happy for the kids to join in.

Edited: 25 November 2012, 20:21
arctica
Level Contributor
931 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas In Lanta?

There are many long-term residents from Sweden etc. They have their own international school (1 or 2, I am not sure). Maybe they have activities for kids on Christmas Eve, 24.December.

Southern Lanta Resort at Klong Dao beach seems to be a popular base for many of them. Send an email, perhaps they can help you with some more info.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,538 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas In Lanta?

As said as it is a Buddhist / Muslim culture there won't be any community celebrations, etc but Xmas / New year is the absolute peak tourist time on the island so most of the hotels and resorts will be doing something and several of the bars / restaurants will be doing Traditional English Xmas dinners.

If you are on Facebook you could keep an eye on this page for any events https://www.facebook.com/groups/Lanta/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas In Lanta?

Hi, we are in Lanta now and am also looking for something festive on Christmas eve and Christmas day. We have a lonely 10 yr old! Have you found anything?

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas In Lanta?

We've been here since Wednesday. Lots of restaurants, and I assume resorts, have special Christmas Eve dinners. We brought along a 2' fold-up tree, a string of battery powered lights and our stockings. Also signed up for our resort (Crown Lanta) Christmas Eve dinner....nice setting outside around the pool. Buffet (inc turkey), Thai dance groups, Christmas carols, drawings from 6-10pm. Also very expensive compared to other restaurant offerings. Lots of Xmas lights around the resort and they've had the non-English speaking staff practicing Carols in English!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas In Lanta?

Koh Lanta is very north European for tourists so xmas eve is certainly the focus . We too have booked in for our resort's xmas eve festivities and we are looking forward to celebrating xmas Scandinavian style !

We are still searching for a xmas day lunch venue and i believe Travel Too Far bar and i restaurant is serving roast turkey on the day. Otherwise it is very light on on the big day. Keep us posted if you hear anything.

Ko Lanta, Thailand
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas In Lanta?

Bring a book - 8 days straight of cr*ppy grey rainy weather to the 24/12. Enjoy.

Get answers to your questions about Ko Lanta
Recent Conversations