We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Lanta in August - am I nuts?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Ko Lanta in August - am I nuts?

I'm considering going to Ko Lanta in mid-August, as there are good accommodation deals at very nice looking resorts. The weather report says August is in the middle of Monsoon, hence the deals. Is it usually sunny part of the day and rainy part of the day, or does it just rain continually in August? Do most places shut down at that period? Will I be stuck inside most of the time in wet weather?

If it's a bad idea, I'll look into Ko Samui or Bali, so I'd love some advice from people who have spent time there in August. Many thanks.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
1. Re: Ko Lanta in August - am I nuts?

We can't say how bad the weather will be, but its certainly monsoon season. It mostly wouldn't rain all day, but could sometimes. Seas conditions are another factor that can affect your transfers to/from Lanta. August is not the best time for Lanta, hence the cheap hotel deals!

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Ko Lanta in August - am I nuts?

om in lanta now it rained for 2 days strait there is not a lot of people and nothing really to do if you are not with your wife / girlfriend. my advice go somewhere else. worth part is the beaches are not for swimming.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
206 reviews
3. Re: Ko Lanta in August - am I nuts?

Hi,

Bali is a much better bet in August weather wise...

Cheers

Edited: 16 July 2011, 20:11
Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
282 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Ko Lanta in August - am I nuts?

Liadamir you should come surfing - blue sky and perfect waves today and for the next week! You can swim on Klong Dao too.

Lanta Low season is not for everyone, if you need the stimulation of shops and other people around etc. Also Bali and Samui it is high season so a totally different experience. The beaches are clean and water much cleaner. The monsoon season sounds worse than it is. The last couple of days has been rainy (probably the rainiest day of the season) but that was about 3 or 4 showers over the day and some pretty strong wind. Lanta low season is kind of a deserted island experience. But you get to see the local way of life more. There are still some good restaurants open and plenty of walking and exploring the island. Depends what you are looking for. Half price hotels are great! enjoy whatever you do.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
5. Re: Ko Lanta in August - am I nuts?

Depends what you're looking for but I'm sure you can get somewhere within your budget but a better option weatherwise, like Samui.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Ko Lanta in August - am I nuts?

hi i stand corrected lanta is beautiful but only on the south side. Definitely worth a visit.

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Level Contributor
520 posts
71 reviews
7. Re: Ko Lanta in August - am I nuts?

You aren't nuts, but you are rolling the dice a little.

It's August here in Lanta now and for the whole first week we haven't had any rain. As a matter of fact the weather has ben nice and mild. Gentle breezes, fluffy clouds and plenty of sunshine. Of course that could change any day.

Right now there are a decent number of tourists in Lanta, though most are in the south in Kantiang Bay, as the beach faces south, which makes for a more calm surf and off shore wind during this time of year.

8. Re: Ko Lanta in August - am I nuts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 04:48