We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Satun?

Barbados
Level Contributor
570 posts
64 reviews
Bus to Satun?

Hi,

Is it possible to get a direct bus from Ko Lanta to Satun? I know there's the possibility of going Lanta-Trang-Satun but do you need to switch buses in Trang? Also, where in Lanta is the bus station situated?

Thanks!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,691 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: Bus to Satun?

Hi,

Never heard of a bus from Lanta to Satun, would be extremely surprised if there is one.

There is no bus station as such on Lanta, you can book minibus / minivan tickets through your resort and then it comes and picks you up from the resort

Barbados
Level Contributor
570 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Bus to Satun?

Thanks Doffcocker. The Lonely Planet book gave us the impression that you could get an ordinary bus to Trang but when we looked further into it there doesn't appear to be much information on it!

We're looking at getting to Langkawi the cheapest way we can so are looking at getting to Satun by bus and then across to Langkawi by ferry. Would our best option be to get a minivan to Trang, then a public bus onto Satun and then the ferry across do you think? Do you know if this type of journey would be possible in one day? Lastly, how much should a minivan from Lanta to Trang cost?

Thanks again!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,691 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Bus to Satun?

Hi,

Lanta to Satun is around 4 hours or so by car, so with a minivan then changing to a bus it will be quite a bit more, then you have to coincide with a ferry, I believe there are 4 a day with the last departure at 5 pm.

Have you looked at Tigerline Ferries? They do Lanta Langkawi, leave at 10 am arrive at 17:00 cost 1,890 pp

www.tigerlinetravel.com/index.php…

PS - Just realised I wasn't clear the minibus is a public one not private

Edited: 24 February 2010, 14:28
Barbados
Level Contributor
570 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: Bus to Satun?

Thanks again.

We're not too sure yet what way we're going to do it. We're trying to find a bus timetable for the journey from Trang to Satun but it's proving quite difficult!

Do you know how much one of the minivans would cost to go from Lanta to Trang?

Thanks!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,691 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: Bus to Satun?

Hi,

if this info is current it looks like its 350 B

www.lantainfo.com/getting_ko_lanta_trang.htm

Have done the trip by road in a new pick-up but I'm a bad car passenger and my mate is a lunatic driver, I also once did a minivan visa run to Satun - given the choice I think I'd go for the direct ferry (funnily I get car sick but not seasick)

bowness
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Bus to Satun?

Do you mean you can get a ferry from ko lanta to Langkawi? If so how long does it take?

thanks

Kerobokan Kelod...
Level Contributor
10,783 posts
206 reviews
7. Re: Bus to Satun?

if you google "Tigerline ferry" you will find the Lanta-Langkawi schedule and prices

cheers

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,691 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Bus to Satun?

Paolo,

I'd already posted the link to Tigerline's schedule, together with times and cost, above (lol)

Edited: 26 February 2010, 10:32
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,691 posts
55 reviews
9. Re: Bus to Satun?

Bay House,

We chatted about Bowness and your B&B sometime ago on the Mombasa Forum - small world

Doff

bowness
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Bus to Satun?

Hi Doff, It certainly is a small world we were in Kenya last year and loved it.