We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide to Chennai Madurai,Rameswaram,kodaikaanal, TiruchyTrip

3 posts
Guide to Chennai Madurai,Rameswaram,kodaikaanal, TiruchyTrip

Dear All,

Need your suggestion.

I am planning a trip from 8th Aug to 14th Aug. I am landing at chennai and planning to stay at chennai on 8th aug. We have booked a car and thought of going to rameshawaram early morning around 5 to 6am. As the trip from chennai to rameshwaram will take about 9 to 10 hour by road i am sure we will not be able to make it in time for the early morning 5am prayers.

Can you suggest where i can stay in between my travel from chennai to rameshwaram so that we can wake up and freshen up before heading to rameshwaram and can reach there before 6am.

after rameshwaram we are planning to head to madurai and stay there a night and then go to kodaikaanal the following day for a night stay. After our checkout we plan to stay at tiruchi and head back to chennai the following day. Would this be a good route to follow?

6 replies to this topic
Kurseong, India
Level Contributor
217 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Guide to Chennai Madurai,Rameswaram,kodaikaanal, TiruchyTrip

Madurai would be the place to stay.

Galaxy
Level Contributor
735 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Guide to Chennai Madurai,Rameswaram,kodaikaanal, TiruchyTrip

Chennai to Rameswaram road route does not pass through Madurai. Tiruchi is the largest city enroute but it is about 5 hours away from Rameswaram. You can reach Rameswaram the previous night and stay.

Edited: 01 August 2018, 13:15
3 posts
3. Re: Guide to Chennai Madurai,Rameswaram,kodaikaanal, TiruchyTrip

thank you for the reply. Would it be a waste if i stay at tanjavur or pondicherry and then travel to rameshwaram. I feel that we would need to leave around 1am or 2am to start travelling to raneshwaram if we stay at this two places and feel that the hotel is a waste of money if we cant even sleep for the night

Chennai, India
Level Contributor
359 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Guide to Chennai Madurai,Rameswaram,kodaikaanal, TiruchyTrip

Why do you want to stay in Chennai on Aug-8th?

you can start your road trip by 9 or 10pm after dinner on the Day-1. You can reach Rameswaram by 8-9am the next day. 95% of the route is good for night driving. Except Devakottai to Thiruvadanai junction (20km) is bit tough for night driving.

Once you reach Rameswaram on Day-2, you can check-in hotel and take rest. Later visit Dhanushkodi the same day evening. Day-3 early morning visit temple and check-out after breakfast, Head to Madurai. Visit Madurai temple and other places, start your trip to Kodaikanal the same day evening (if you need rest, stay back in Madurai)

Day-4 & 5 Kodaikanal, Day-6 Trichy and return back to Chennai.

India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
5,577 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Guide to Chennai Madurai,Rameswaram,kodaikaanal, TiruchyTrip

There is no point in staying anywhere other than Rameswaram, if you want to make it by 5 am. Am not a fan of night driving, drivers may not be well-rested. Best to reach Rameswaram the previous evening and spend the night there.

Rajahmundry, India
2 posts
6. Re: Guide to Chennai Madurai,Rameswaram,kodaikaanal, TiruchyTrip

what are the govt bus fares from madurai to kanyakumari to rameswaram to madurai and can we complete within 3 days, kindly suggest

Reply to: Guide to Chennai Madurai,Rameswaram,kodaikaanal, TiruchyTrip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted