We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

Kolkata, India
7 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

I am planning for my honeymoon trip in late July-Early August. I want to visit Munnar and KodaiKanal. I went through the packages available in the net but found none covering both the places.

Please let me know if you know any such package. Please give me further details about hotel-trip-transport-cost etc so that I can manage it myself if none is available

Thanks

gmainak

India
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

My advice is not to combine both.

1) Connectivity is bad; it will take one whole day for travelling by bus from Kodaikanal to Munnar . By cab it will take more than 5 hr through hill roads. (170KM, RS 3500/-).

2) Visiting two hill stations with same climate is not worth.

Select one and proceed with your journey.

Ellicott City...
Level Contributor
287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

Hi gmainak,

If you wish to cover two places with lot of scenic places, I recommend to go for Munar and Thekkady. Thekkady (Periyar wild life reserve) has options for trekking, boating etc. Distance from Munnar to Thekkady is around 110km (3 hour journey) and has lot of scenic places in between.

Best Regards,

TT_Chennai

Kolkata, India
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

Thanks indu99 and TT_Chennai for the reply. Frankly speaking I shall be new in this part of india. Any suggestion about a 6N/7D trip to both Munnar and surrounding areas or kodai and surrounding areas please.

Thanks

gmainak

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

Hi gmainak

Any particular reason why you are specific on either Munnar or Kodai ?

The reason I ask is, it is prime monsoon time. July witnesses the onset of monsoon that persists till the end of August . If the rains are on schedule and heavy (they usually are during mid July) then be prepared for a wet and soggy honeymoon . . . If the monsoons are delayed, then this could possibly be the best time.

If you are particular about hill stations, then Ooty or Yercaud may be a better choice, for the monsoon moves into Ooty after it sets over Kerala, more towards the end of July and mid August (again, if they are as per sched). Otherwise, beaches of Chennai / Pondy etc are possibly your rain free options in the South, for most of Kerala and southern Tamil Nadu would be Rainy. Your other options are Karnataka / Coorg, which again have rains during late July, early August.

regards

Rajan

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai, India
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

Try Rajasthan for late July - early August.

Deepa

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

yes,

Try Rajasthan if it is raining in Munnar.

Kolkata, India
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

Thank you everyone for your valuable comments.

Actually the reason behind choosing Munnar/Kodai is I want to visit any hill station. I had considered Ooty and many other hill station of northern India. However when I searched over the internet, I found all of them to be pretty wet.

For Munnar/Kodai I found that they are damp and wet too at that time of the year however the rain is not that hard and continuous in nature(Please correct me if I am wrong).

I have not fixed any spot yet so I will appreciate any valuable comment about any hill station of India.

Thanks you all again.

Best Regards

gmainak

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

Hi gmainak

Yes you are right. The July rains at most places are not a continuous multi hour down pour. They are steady drizzles, with an occassion cloudburst lasting minutes at the worst. It is almost similar in most hill stations in the south, with probably Munnar recieving more rainfall that others due to its proximity to Kerala, where the monsoon is more active than Tamil Nadu during July.

The problem with such intermittent showers is that the whole place becomes wet and soggy and even a nice brisk walk around the lake is not really an enjoyable one. Secondly, traffic snarls and other delays due to rain creeps in.

However, if these do not bother you, you can either stick to your original plan of Munnar. Fly into Cochin, spend a day or two at Cochin, drive out to Munnar (135 odd Kms), and return to Cochin to fly out.

If you opt for Kodaikanal, fly into Madurai airport, spend a day at Madurai, drive out to Kodai for 3 days, hop into Thekkaday (like what TT Chenni had suggested) and fly out of Madurai.

Alternatively, you can fly into Coimbatore, take a cab / toy train into Ooty, base yourself Ooty for a few days doing the local sight seeing, do day trips to Mudumalai, visit Coonoor (or maybe even do an estate stay for a day) and get back to Coimbatore to fly out of Coimbatore.

regards

Rajan

nellore
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

how is the weather at Kodai in mid april ?

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,179 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Kodaikanal and Munnar

Kodai in April would be around 30 to 35 C during the day and between 22 - 25 C during nights . . . .

regards

Rajan

Get answers to your questions about Kodaikanal